puppy vs rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halogamer91

Reaction score
I need some help.The family dog died about three years ago and my parents said icould finally get a rabbit for my 11th birthday. It is nearing my 13thbithday and my rabbit's 2nd. My parents missed having a dog so theydecided to get a puppy around christmas time. It is a chocolate lab,and she seems to lack intelligence for her breed. When i am in mybasement watching tv, i let my rabbit out to play and the dog will comedown. After eating all the rabbits loose fur and feces, the dog will goafter my rabbit. the dog will lick the rabbit, and she will attack thedog back. then the chases begin. ive tried every method i could find ondog-rabbit bonding, but nothing seems towork

Each and every animal, just like us, is anindividual and I've never seen anything set in stone when it comes tohow they get along.

I had Mickey, mini Rex buck, as a pee-potty-trained housebunny. I also had several cats and 4 dogs who were in andout. One, Poopser, the biggest, was half Black Lab and halfSt. Bernard, so you can get an idea of how big he was.To start with, I let everyone do their sniffing thru the cagewire. And then, when Mickey was out, I was alwayswatching...always there with them. After awhile, I didn'thave to even watch. However, at night, or if I had to be gonefrom home for any length of time, I confined Mickey to the bathroom,with his potty box, food & water. It got to where IfI was just going out to do chores, I didn't have to put Mickey in thebathroom.

Some will get along. Some won't. You just never know. My experience.

for some reason chocolates for the most part seemto be more off the wall, don't get me wrong i've met some excelentchocolates but the majority seem off the wall compare to theyellow and black labs. Course just because a dog belongs to a certainbreed who is suppose to be smart doesn't always mean they are lol

We have a black lab and in some ways he is extreamly smartand in other ways he is really dumb , they are each very different andtheir own self just like people.

not all brunettes are smart just like not all blonds are dumb ;-) Weeach are who we are, I think in time your chocolate will learn how tobehave and if not then you will have to decide howto work around it, just remember bonding is a process thatworks different for every animl some just take a lot longer than othersand some never bond.

Jenny (dog) below with Ginger(rabbit) it has been 2.5 yearprocess, while trapper our pup just seems to be a natural,each one is different.

Perhaps the puppy will calm down as it getsolder. Puppies (especially labradors) are incredibly playfuland active. However, it might outgrow the excessive energy asit gets older, thus leavingyour bunny in a little morepeace. Good luck!

My puppy (who's actually almost 5) and my bun(whos almost 5 months) get along great. If anything, my puppy is afraidof my bunny. But when i went to show my bunny to my neighbor (she's 11/2 and has a dog who's almost 4), her dad had to hold their dog whilethe bunny was out of his carrying case. Don't know what the dog wouldadone if she wasnt being held....she's very tolerant with the 1 1/2 yearold, and now with her 8 week old sister...but she doesnt appear to bethe most animal-friendly dog. Some dogs are just different.

This is an amazing photo. :)

attachment.php

BunnyMommy wrote:
This is an amazing photo. :)

attachment.php
LOLif you saw me with the camera LOL Ginger was running circlesaround jenny, i have several of jenny with ginger's ear, jenny withginger's tail, jenny with ginger's foot lol. my finger was on theshutter at the right time because Ginger is one fast passed bunnyfunny.
I should mention it's been 2.5 years in theworking for jenny, she is being socialized with rabbits in general andwell ithasn't come natural to her but she has made leaps andbounds in getting here. Ginger on the other had, I only hadher for a week in that pic, she is the bun who found me 6 days afterIvy crossed rainbow bridge.

Latest posts

Back