Pumpkin's not right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinandwhiskersmom

Reaction score
When I got home from the hospital this p.m., I found that Pumpkin, who is usually very good about peeing in her litter pan only, had had several "accidents". It has occurred over the last day or so, and she is eating and drinking normally. She doesn't seem like her usual feisty self, however. When I held her, at first she was grinding her teeth a bit, and was breathing a bit fast, neither of these things being too pronounced, but enough for a nervous mama to notice. I called the vet, and the rabbit savvy vet can see her at 10:20 tomorrow a.m.....she's eating her treats and everything, but just doesn't seem right to me. Do you guys think I'm over-reacting?

No i don't think you are overreacting you know your buns better than anyone else can if its not like her then better yu pick it up at a stage like this than when she is feelign worse. I hope that everyhing is ok though :pray:

You are not over reacting, you are an observant bunny mom who notices a change in her bun. sometimes those not so right behaviours are signs. good luck at the vet hope everything is ok

Totally agree with Polly! I'm dealing with this myself right now, and it's hard to worry if you're creating a fuss about nothing, but at the end of the day you know when your bunny isn't right, and you're doing the right thing in taking her in if you're worried about her...

I hope she gets better soon... :hug:

Oh, and the simeticone doses- according to the libary link on gas, it's 1cc/ml twice a day.... I don't think weight comes into it- Maureen or someone else with more knowledge than me- can you back that up? It's what I read anyway...

I use 1 cc/ml every hour for the first three hours - then 1 cc/ml every 4 or 8 hours (I forget which) after that.

Whenever they get gas (it may be wrong but it works for me) - I give them the simethicone first - then 1/2 or 1 baby aspirin in water.....usually by the third dose of simethicone they're feeling noticeably better.

I know aspirin can be hard on the tummy (I haven't had metacam on hand) but I figure if I give the simethicone first to coat the tummy....then the aspirin will help with any pain.

Once again though - I'm not a vet nor am I an infirmary mod. They may very well tell you to do differently.

I just feel like alleviating the pain has a great deal to do with getting them to eat / drink.

We just got home from the hospital, and Pumpkin had eaten and her cage was clean...and she had used her litter pan! She hasn't been drinking a whole lot, but when she had her runtime, she ate a bunch of hay as well. Can they just be upset enough to do this kind of thing? We were away on vacation all week last week, then we've been at the hospital most of the time for last few days. I don't want to ignore anything, but I just wonder if she was pitching a fit....she also had thrown her hay pan around. I'll let everyone know after we get back from the vet tomorrow a.m.

I'm sorry I missed this....:(

I'm glad to hear that Pumpkin is okay.

Sounds like something my Brindle would do if she was upset or insecureenough....right down to the peeing everywhere.
***And I swear she pouts when something isn't exactlythe wayshe wants it.***

Well, she seems to be doing ok this a.m., but there was a bit of pee on her shelf, along with some cleaned up cecal residue. She's eating well, but not drinking as much as she has been lately, so it's off to the vets in a couple of hours. Thanks for all of your good thoughts and prayers! I'll post when we get back. They told me yesterday that if they couldn't get a urine sample that she might have to stay.....I sure hope not!!!! I'm taking some of her food and her water bottle, just in case, but she's gonna be a major pip for them.....she does NOT adjust to change well at all. More later....

Back from Dr. Mason....he's so nice...the upshod is that she looks good, especially for her age, and we just have to keep an eye on her, since he couldn't get a urine sample. They did an ultrasound, and saw that her bladder was mostly empty, so he didn't want to poke around at this point. He gave her a thorough exam, and she had her nails clipped!! I figured she was already stressed, and they needed to be done, and I'm really nervous about doing it. The tech was great, and was much more sure of herself than I ever am, so Pumpkin had a much easier time of it. Since we're home, she's had food and water, and has made a mess of her hay, just to let me know that we were not amused!!! Thanks for all of your good thoughts and prayers. We'll keep a close eye on her.

Latest posts

Back