Pulmonary edema

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnieMom

Reaction score
My bunny Jasmin had trouble breathing a few weeks ago - it was very scary to see, how she struggled breathing.

We went to the vet - and they found that she had an enoumous pulmonary edema, but they could not find any reason that has caused the pulmonary edema.
Her heart seems to be working as it should - only thing was that the blood test showed slightly elevated liver numbers - but that could also be due to the fact that she just had pulmonary oedema.
The pulmonary edema came within very short time, or so it seemed.....
She was put on libeo vet. 10 mg twice a day and has been since - it is no 4 weeks. She has peed and pooped fine, but 1½ weeks ago she started to feel a little uncomfortable - she peed less and her poops became very, very small and hard and she didn't really wanted to eat, she looked sad and tired - yesterday she was very uncomfortable and I thought it had all come to and end - she is after all 11 years on august 1st - but she ate a lot of greens if I put it right in front of her.
She seemed to have a lot of stomach pain so I decided not to feed her meds last night and this morning she was almost back to herself, she was active, greeting me when I came into the living room, and she even came to visit me during the night. She also looked a lot healther and her not as skinny as the day before - she got her meds this morning but only half the dose.
I have been in contact with the vet today and we have agreed to contiue with the meds but only half the dose
In Denmark, where I come from, not much is known about pulmonary edema in rabbits, but is there anyone in this forum who has experience with pulmonary edema in particular, and how it occurs and, not least, why it occurs suddenly, and will it disapear completely or come back, if she doesn't get her meds?

Congestive heart failure is the only cause I've read of. But it would be possible for the inhalation of certain chemicals to result in pulmonary edema as well. If that's not a possibility and her heart is functioning well, which has been verified by scans and tests, then I can't think of what might be a possible cause.

If it's related to her heart function, it's likely to come back if meds are stopped. Though if it is the heart, the appropriate heart meds are needed for that as well.

I'm glad to hear she's improving ❤️

Back