Pulling out fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
Cordie has recently started pulling fur out from Raspberry's bum. It's not matted or dirty fur, so I'm assuming it's not part of grooming. At the same time, she's not doing it aggressively - not charging or trying to bite or lunging or anything.

I'm aware that I may have issues with the girls continuing to live together until they're both spayed, but is this a sign that they're going to fall out or could there be some other reson behind the fur pulling?

If they're going to fall out, how should I separate them? Split down the middle of their current cage? Two separate cages away from each other? How easy will it be to re-bond them after they're spayed? Easier if they keep close contact or will they remember each other? Or could it make it worse if they keep contact and fall out further?

I'm pretty sure they can both be spayed in the next couple of months - they're already bigger than Mango! But I don't want to risk keeping them together and having them hurt each other, or having them fall out in such a way that they can't be re-bonded..

Well, I'm not sure why she would be pulling fur from Raspberry's bottom. But I know, that I had to separate my 2 females because of being aggressive actions. I'm sorry I cannot help you on why she would be doing this. But maybe try to separate them, but let them see eachother through the cages and then re-introduce them after you get them spayed. Or see if Cordie keeps doing this. But does Cordie do it every day?

~

Karlee

If possible, I would seperate them but have them close together until you can spay them. Such as maybe making the cage they have larger, but splitting it down the middle so they still feel close together.

I've read around the net that biting or tugging out fur on another rabbits bottom is a sort of aggressive thing. I've seen wild european bunnies fight before and they always go for the ears or the bottom of the other rabbit.

I had a bunny called Lucky, she used to do this to BunBun, and it broke their bond in the end. I don't want to see that happen with Cordie and Raspberry! :shock:

No, definitely wouldn't want that to happen to Cordie and Raspberry! They're so snuggly and cuddly with each other most of the time. It's usually at night when Cordie does it - I have them in the bedroom and I get woken by Raspberry clattering around running away. Cordie doesn't really chase her, but Raspberry is obviously eager to get away from the fur pulling.

I think I'm going to go for the split down the middle. I hate to stop them snuggling in a pile, but I don't want them to hate each other. :?

Latest posts

Back