pulling out fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpol

Reaction score
:pullhair:my rabbit is pulling out his fur, we went to the vet but that didnt really help.

Hes pulling out his fur under his neck and chin, so why is he doing this???:anyone:

When our (female) rabbitdid this the vet said that she was featheringher nest so to speak. Some rabbits have like a phantom pregnancy. However once she had her hysterectomy (sp) she stopped doing it.

How old is this bunny? And how long have you had bunny?

Boy/girl? Has this been confirmed by vet/breeder recently? Bunnies are notoriously hard to sex.

Is the bunny pulling the fur and building a nest with it or is the fur being scattered everywhere? It is most likely a false pregnancy if the bunny is female and you know 100% that bunny has not had contact with another bunny for more than 4 weeks and the fur is being used to make a nest. If the fur is used to build a nest and bunny was around another rabbit in the last 4 weeks, then there is a very high probability of pregnancy.

If the fur is being scattered and not used to build a nest, perhaps the bun has mites. Is the skin irritated and flaky, then mites would be a good possibility.

Did the vet you see seem rabbit savvy? Many vets know next to nothing about rabbits and can be more harmful than good.

Where are you located? Perhaps one of the members in your area can recommend a good rabbit savvy vet. If not, there may be a good vet on our rabbit savvy vet listing: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=9

--Dawn

Hey,

its funny that you should post this, because we are having the same problem with our 7month oldboy.

He is pulling out his fur, just as your bun is, in the same area. (under the neck and chin) We had noticed a thining of his fur on his under side and bald patches earlier in the summer and took him to the vet. Our vet treated him for fur miteswith a course of 3 shots of ivermectin, and it seemed to have stopped for a while.

We had him nutered around 2 weeks ago, and have started to notice a big patch of skin exposure, but his fur isn't thinning like it had when we treated him for mites.

Does anyone else have any other ideas that might help both our buns out?

My bunny is a boy and we have had him for about a year. So i dont think hes making a nest lol, the vet said that he didnt have any mites, and he seems to be eating the fur, because buns cant puke or so i have herd, so the vet said to give him papiea and pinapple juice, he wont drink the pinapple but papiea is his fave food :D

oh p.s. hes been nutered

Hey Conpol :) A fellow-BCer I do believe?

It sounds like it could be a moult reaction, a stress reaction or a bug.

Is he moulting elsewhere at all?

With my guys, I've had fleas that jump on and off without leaving the usual residue, and they always become a problem in around September. (I also have cats).

Has anything else changed? Any reason for stress like moving furniture, new people, new pets, people leaving, etc, and/or any changes in diet -- brand of pellets or hay, etc -- at all?

And I have to wonderhow rabbit-savvy your vet is. There aren't a lot of them in these parts.

sas :)

Hi Pipp

Well-we live in Fruitvale which is close to Trail, and the regular vet was away for 3 weeks so we went to another that is usually pretty good with dogs... and her info seemed to jive with what I'd been reading, I think it's a shed thing as he seems perfectly fine otherwise- eating pooping binking. we'll wait and see, but the poor bun! He looks terrible, no bald spots anywhere else. He stays inside- in dtr's room. Thanks for everyone's responses!This is a great resourse for us.

Latest posts

Back