Pulling hair, but not a female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make the food change gradually...over a period of a week or so. And since you have a horse, do you have any Safeguard? It's Fenbendazole.....a dewormer. Might be a good idea to deworm him since worms can absorb nutrients from the host. While you can pay for a fecal, I have found them to be unreliable so if I have a question about worms, I treat.

Randy

If there are boney changes (caused by diet or old age) then unfortunately correcting the diet won't fix the problem just help stop it getting worse so do speak about a painkiller like metacam with your vet :)

Actually a dietary change can correct MBD is it's NMBD. It just takes a long time....and that is hoping there is no bending in the bones like rickets. We have treated squirrels and opossums that were "rehabbed" (illegally)by well meaning but misinformed people that came is with such severe MBD that they were suffering seizures. With only one exception, I have been able to release each and every one of them. The gray squirrel that is still here could be released but he does have a rather pronounced deformity in his skull that will affect his sight down the road. While I certainly agree with pain meds and I think I mentioned using Metacam, this drug is nottotally safe. It can damage the liver and kidneys when used long term or with a dehydrated animal. Nothing it totally safe. If this is NMBD, the idea would be to correct as much damage as possible and relieving the pain in the joints caused by MBD. But I think getting to a proper diet and some short term analgesics will certainly goa long way in helping this particular rabbit.

Randy

Sorry, I meant where the bone has changed shape like your example with rickets or if he has got spurs on his spine etc. they wouldn't be resolved. Not that it wouldn't fix the underlying cause if it is MBD :)

Back