Pulling Fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MousQwene

Reaction score
Penny gave birth to her babies on May 1. A few days before she had pulled a massive amount of fur for the nest, but it was all from her stomach and we were surprised to find that she looked as though she hadn't lost any fur at all. Almost three weeks later and her sides are looking increasingly patchy. Is she still pulling fur? Is this ok? She also looks skinnier than she did even before her pregnancy and I'm a little worried. She and the babies have a constant supply of water, pellets (17% protein), and Timothy hay and today I got some oatmeal to add to their food. I also feed her some parsley and yogurt chips for treats. Thoughts? Advice?

My cousin/neighbor has a doe that pulled a bit before birth and then pulled a TON after she had them about a week later..... :? Maybe she sensed the cold nights coming? Have you had some of that there?

Not really. We've tried to keep the inside temp as consistent as possible since the babies have been born. Unless she is sensing the outside temp?

Is this her first litter? I've had does that pulled fur for 5 weeks after they were born (silly twits!). The babies can chew on her fur too, causing her to look a little "moth-eaten" and "patchy". Without all her fur, she can look a little skinnier too.
The oatmeal is good for her. That will help put a little weight on her. How do the babies look? Are their little bellies full? (Producing milk takes a lot out of the mom... and every doe handles it differently.)

This is her first litter. The babies look, to me at least, to be healthy and well fed. They are also nibbling on hay and pellets.

This is Yoshi, the biggest.
3549618462_982e93e05f.jpg

This is Trouble, next biggest.
3548812963_0633aebcda.jpg

Thing 1 is next.
3549619936_826e60ef10.jpg

Then Thing 2. (They are pretty much the same size. Twins, just like the Things in "The Cat in the Hat" lol)
3549619240_887bff37e9.jpg

Bouncy is next.
3548812349_e9964aebe4.jpg

And Sleepy is the littlest.
3548813943_7e99f98faa.jpg

They are lovely :) I like the first one best cause I like blues :D
I have had does that do that when they want to clean the nest. They clear away the old fur and pull new clean stuff

Latest posts

Back