PUBERTY!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hok9

Reaction score
Two of my 4 rabbits have just hit puberty and i need to know what to expect. They are both getting neutered in the next month or so. I have noticed that the cage has started to smell more. is this normal? is there anything i can do to help control it? I am afraid to let them out because i do not want spray all over my living room.

Help me RO, your my only hope.

Aren't some of your bunnies female too? They need to be separated asap. The smelling is normal and very hard to control, to stop your house from smelling then you'll need to clean them out everyday and get an air freshner. They might also start spraying out of the cage up onto walls, doors and the floor, and that is nasty, believe me I have been there. I had to scrub all the walls and floor when I had to boys in my room. I moved them outside then though, I was planning on neuteuring them but one died and I haven't gotten around to the other guy yet.

There isn't really anything you can do except clean,clean,clean to try and keep down the smell until you can get them all fixed.

That sounds fun. The only bun we think is a girl is about 5 weeks old. So it is really hard to tell what sex it is. I am going to deep clean the cage tomorrow and change the bottom lining.

I have about a gallon of vinagar, so i should be set there. I let them out and they didnt do anything bad, yet.

hok9 wrote:
That sounds fun. The only bun we think is a girl is about 5 weeks old. So it is really hard to tell what sex it is. I am going to deep clean the cage tomorrow and change the bottom lining.
well, separate her in a week before she hits sextuially maturity
you dont want babies.
:)

is there a good place to look to find the sex of young, small (weight is 8oz) rabbits?

do you mean on line?
if so, ill put a link up...
in the rabbits online libary aswell.

I remember before Ronnie was neutered...

He would projectile pee on us within 10 seconds of entering the room. He could also stomp his foot and emit a skunk like stench on command :(

Alright, three of them have had the testies drop now. I havent seen any spraying or anything and they are all happy. About how long into this will it take for the "bad" stuff to happen? I have the cage set up so that they cannot spray out of it and they all still get along. Im just a little curious.

I spoke too soon, right after i hit REPLY, a fight broke out. Nothing major yet, but it is coming. It was between Chip and Trix (thrianta and dwarf).

I am also having problems with Chip escaping from everything i put up. Today he jumped a 3' high gate to get into a closet. Right now he is seperated as my others are getting along just fine and are happy that there is always food in their cage. I will let them out to play when they are not going crazy.

I also am trying to set up another partition to my cage so i can put someone else in it. I still think that i have a female rabbit and hope that she is not already pregnant. When i get time off I am going to check her/him out to make absolutley sure. If so i need to get her out.

You need to separate them now. ASAP!

They will be more likely to fight at dawn and dusk, and they can do damage incredibly quickly.

If they are already having problems then separate them now. IT will hopefully mean they are rebondable back after neutering.

I would also suggest contacting your vet to find out at what age they neuter because they all have different ideas, as in some neuter as soon as the testicles descend, others wait until 4 months, or 5 months or a certain weight, etc.

I am on a waiting list for a neuter of my older two, I tried calling today but they were out of the area and could not help. I have the only one that causes problems locked up in his little jail right now, It is setup as a cage in a cage so he is right next to the others and they are all confused at what is going on now.

I think it is just his personality that is starting this. The other two are pretty calm and dont cause trouble. they just do their own thing and dont bother anyone or thing. This guy though (Chip the problem child) is all over the place and can jump about 4 ft high. He has no problem clearing my kid gates around the house and hiding. I hope a neuter will calm him down. He is a sweet rabbit when he wants to be i just am getting annoyed with his little attitude.

He's just being an adolescent bunny. Chances are the others will show signs of hormones too.

Just make sure they can't fight through the bars because that can be nasty too, but I'm glad you have them separated :)

It seemed that the fighting only happend when i let them out and they had room to run around and really chase each other. I think they just accept the cage as neutral territory.

Ok :) Just be aware. I've seen what hormonal boys can do. And actually, fully fixed boys too.

I have that third eye on them. If they have a fight we are going to hear it. This house is all tile, the bells they have on now is loud at night when the TV's are off. Yeah i put cat bells on them so i know where they are when they are out. Its been working for me.

Where do you put bells? On collars?

And yes, you are right, you will hear it, rabbits fights are very loud.

Latest posts

Back