ptyalism (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I adopted two rabbits approximately a month ago that were no longer wanted by the original owner. One is a siamese sable Lionhead, and the other a beautiful calico dwarf. Rascal, the dwarf was with us only a couple of days when he managed to escape from our acreage and we could not find him. After two weeks of combing the area and alerting the neighbours we had given up. Low and behold my friend spotted him in the neighbour's pasture while we were throwing applies to their horses. It took two days to finally capture Rascal with a squirrel trap, and we were so happy that he was alive, but very thin.

Afew days after Rascal's return to the fold I noticed he was always wet around his face and neck, but I thought he was just really into the water and thirsty, but upon observing him closely I knew that something was wrong and started searching online, where I came up with the diagnosis of ptyalism. I quickly phoned and made an appointment with our vet and took him in. It was discovered that he has a broken left upper incisor; broken so badly that the pulp is exposed. We were advised that surgery was necessary to extract that tooth and root, but no vet in our city has experience with rabbits. None of them have ever successfully intubated a rabbit, nor performed dental surgery on a live rabbit. I was given the choice of going elsewhere or "putting him down". Rascal was given an antibiotic injection that lasts a week, and I was sent home with syringes filled with liquid pain killers to keep him comfortable.

I was devastated, but would not consider the latter option, and went home and phoned the Calgary Avian & Exotic Pet Clinic, which is the closest to us; approximately 5 hours driving time. I spoke with a very sympathetic and informed receptionist who advised that Rascal's dental issues could indeed be taken care of, and was also advised to grind up his pellets and hay so he would be able to eat and gain some weight.

Rascal is doing much better. I cleaned up his face, chin, and chest areas and made a couple of neck bandanas to soak up the excessive moisture so that his inflamed skin could heal. His is voraciously eating his ground pellets mixed with warm water, and his pooping is back in full force.

My questions concern his surgery. Have any of your rabbits undergone incisor extraction? Have the incisors grown back, as I have been advised that that can be the case in a large percentage? Did your rabbit have just one incisor extracted, or the corresponding lower one also, or had the corresponding incisor filed down as needed by the vet? Did you have all four incisors extracted as a precaution? What were the costs involved and recovery?

My husband refuses to consider any kind of treatment or surgery for Rascal so I have had to sell a gold bracelet in order to finance at least a part of the surgery, depending on how expensive it is.

I have arranged for a friend to transport Rascal to Calgary for me on Monday, as I am unable to take him myself. I am caregiver for two adult mentally and physically handicapped brothers, plus an elderly mother, so arranging and affording leave is impossible for me. My friend is going to visit her son for a day or so and is willing to drop Rascal off at the Clinic and pick him up is he is ready by Tuesday when she is due to leave.

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with incisor extractions? I really would appreciate any input you have. Thank you.

I think quite a few people on here have experience dealing with teeth issues. So hopefully one of them will be able to chime in.

Welcome to the forum.

I am glad to hear you are doing everything you can for Rascal rather then the alternative. The vets should be able to fax/e-mail you an estimate for the entire procedure from minimum costs to maximums so there are no surprises.

With regard to grinding up his pellets, do you have access to critical care? Your local vet may have it if they see exotics. It's a highly palatable diet you can syringe feed which might make it easier to help put weight back on him.

No, I don't have access to critical care in my area, that is why I have to have my bunny transported to Calgary which is 4 1/2 hours away. The vets in my city do not see many rabbits in their practices and, therefore, their knowledge is limited. Rascal is doint great on the ground pellets mixed with warm water. I already had a cheaplittle coffee grinder that I don't use, and grind them in that. It's working just fine for him. He doesn't seem to consume the hay, but I'm not concerned as his pellets contain a high percentage of fiber and grass so he is getting his nutrients, plus he loves romaine lettuce, which is also available to him.

Thank you for your help.

Poor little guy. It sounds like you are doing everything possible for him. I know several forum members have had bunnies with incisors removed, or even all teeth removed, and they have done fine. You should be able to get him eating normal pellets and hay once he heals after surgery. The only difference is that you may have to make sure his veggies are in smaller pieces since he can't tear them apart without incisors.

If done correctly, the incisor usually will not grow back. In a few rare cases, or if not done right, it might. The opposite one probably does need to be removed as well, because it will otherwise grow unchecked and be too long. I am not sure if it is common to remove only one pair of the front incisors (top and bottom)--all of the bunnies I have heard about that went through the surgery had all front teeth removed. In the article I read, it said to remove all the front teeth--the 4 incisors you can see easily, and the 2 peg teeth, which are small teeth on the top jaw that are right behind the incisors you can see.

Depending on how bad the tooth break is, they may be able to save the tooth. However, since the pulp is exposed, it may be best to just remove the whole tooth. That exposed pulp can be very painful and lead to infection.

The pain of dental surgery can be quite great, and it can take a while for them to recover.

This is a good article, and not too graphic:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

edit: wanted to add that the bandanna is a good idea if he will tolerate it. Sometimes bunnies with excessive drooling get skin infections or fungal growth under their chins due to them being wet all the time.

Thank you for all the info. I did not realize that there were peg teeth in addition to the four incisors. Good to know.

The bandanas are working out just great. Rascal does seem to mind it at all, and he is a lot drier and not so ill-looking. He continues to eat all ground pellets, and I am very hopeful about his condition.

I will be thinking of you and Rascal - he sounds so sweet - and I hope everything works out well! I'm glad you were able to find a rabbit savvy vet, even at such a distance.

:clover:

Rascal was seen by the vet this morning in Calgary and she informed me that his problems are far more severe that originally suspected. The broken incisor is a manifestation of a far more sinister process at work in Rascal that has been present probably since birth. The infectionhas spread throughout his body in the form of abscesses, due to malignment of his teeth, and has never been treated prior. He can be placed on antibiotics indefitinetly, but it will not help him as he continues to lose weight even though he is eating constantly. It appears that any nutrition he takes in is being consumed by the infection. I've had to make the heartbreaking decision to put Rascal to sleep, and my friend will bring home his urn of ashes tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back