Pseudo-snuffles!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
I did a little experiment. Fenwick's poor nose was getting worse, all runny and he was scratching it raw. It looked likepasteurella, but I acted on a sneaking suspicion that it had something to do with straw. I took the straw out of his box a few days ago. Within 3 hrs., his nose had faded from red to pink, and was not runny. The next day it had further returned to his normal skin color (brownish gray) and he had not scratched it, not to mention the fact he's joyfully running in and out of his box.

BINGO!!!!Only problem is that I need a good really warm bedding for winter now that he's not allergic to. He can't take hay either. We live in a cold climate--any suggestions??

Rose

Congrats on that little piece of sleuthing!

How about blankets, place mats, pillow, towels, curtain, sweaters, etcpurchased very cheaply, now, at summer yard/tag/garage sales?Pack the hutch with the bedding. Dispose of same asit becomes soiled and replace unused stuff from your stash.

We usually stock up on stuff like that for rabbits, for one reason oranother, because they don't have a problem with straw in thwintertime. It just comes in handy to haverabbitrags available whenever you need some, andyou don't have to launder if you don't wish to because the intial costis so low.

Buck

Pine wood chips/shavings works really well,also. It gets darn cold in this part of Iowa, and that iswhat I have used for nest boxes for the last several years.It's not very expensive, and you just dump it. If it works tokeep babies warm...yes, they have mama's hair, too!...it should workfor an older rabbit. I do give my old Dutch buck a box to sitin when winter rolls around...with the pine chips. He seemsto appreciate it. He doesn't get it all crappy.

Back