protection from the rain

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powab

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone does for protecting their bunniesfrom the rain? It's pouring of rain here at the moment and all the rainis being swept into my bunnies cage because of the wind, anysuggestions on what could stop this? :D

As it's dark now you can cover over the frontmesh area of the hutch with an old coat/piece of tarp etc and in theday use a clear plastic sheet. That's what I use and it works well forme, just make sure to leave a gap to allow air to still circulatearound the hutch. :)

thanks for them tips, I had seen a hutch coverin Pets at home, but it was £40 and I just didn't have that to sparewith the run up to xmas!:(

But now it's all over i'll go and treat my little babies to some treats and a hutch cover.

When I was young and had a outside rabbit westppled a pup tent to the top at a slope and when the weather was badwe could pull the rest of in odwn over the cage.
ed

Always looking for a solution to the rain problem. What's a pup tent?

Our rabbit's hutch is inside the run so while we cover the hutch toprotect from the cold, we also use a large clear plastic builders sheetover the run. It works well as it keeps out the wind and mostof the rain(though we leave a gap)but it doesn'tstop the wet running through onto therun floor areaespecially as the weather is SO bad just now. Now I wish I'dbuilt the run with a sloping top asI have to go out twice aday to clear off the pools of water.

you could also get a roll of plastic and cut some to fit the area that needs to be covered

Just wondering.... Could I use the plastic overall of the hutch? (Leaving a gap somewhere of course) insteadof a hutch hugger?

Although,my bunny seems to like chewing the plastic - I always makesure the plastic cover on the run is well away from where she canreachas I worry about how much she might injest so it mightnot be such a good idea!

Bugsy isn't bothered much by my efforts to keep her dry and warm anyway- as I put the straw in her bed area, she's around the other sidetaking it out. Ungrateful little madam.

Can you put a few boards or something on oraround the hutch with the plastic on the outside to keepitout of teeth reach?

As noted here, it's very important to retain good air circulation, sobe careful with the plastic. Is the hutch off theground? Where is the rain coming in? If you have awire bottom cage and there's good airflow coming up from that, thatwill help considerably.

If not, it's a delicate balance between keeping them out of drafts and getting good circulation, both are important.

A straw-filledleak-proof hidey boxwith food andwater within easy reach is great --if the silly girl willkeep the straw in it!

Thinking warm dry thoughts for you!

sas :)

I know some 4hers that didnt have much moneythat used empty feed sacks to cover the cages in winter.they can bestapled or tacked on with tacks.they last a long time and even if therabbits chew them its not a problem.bluebird

Latest posts

Back