Progress check for new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco_puffs

Reaction score
Hi all! Coco is my first bunny and I got him in early Feb. Just doing a progress check to see if all is going normal. New developments in his behavior include:

1. Now interested in cords (!) and his exploring the house has now included trying to get behind furniture with lots of cords (these have been blocked)
  2. Still often running away when I approach to play
  3. Now peeing and pooping on my bed (we have stopped this)
  4. Since leaving him outside his cage at night he seems to have shifted his active/sleep schedule a bit and is now more active at night. This is understandable.
  5. His head fur seems to be getting a bit dirty looking. He was so fluffy and clean when I got him. Any tips for cleaning his head or is it OK to let this go?
  6. I had his litter (pine chips), newspaper and hay arranged how he likes them in his cage and he was fine like that for weeks. In the last week, every time I change his cage he goes in and destroys everything! Shredding the newspaper, pushing the litter from one side to the next. Throwing hay all over the place. He's a maniac in his cage after a cleaning!
Just checking to see if this all seems normal. Thanks again. Coco has been a little dream and it's been fun learning his behaviors and body language.

CRW_0470.jpg

It all sounds normal to me. :)
For his head, although I have never had this problem, I would probably wipe it with a slightly damp rag making sure to not get him wet. I have heard others mention using non scented baby wipes.
My bun also doesn't destroy his cage after cleaning but have heard of other buns doing so. Is he neutered? That may help. He is probably just trying to reclaim his space after (in his mind) you have violated it (by cleaning). My bun just goes in during or after cleaning to sniff and chin rub everything.
He sounds like he has settled in to his new home:)

if he's digging in his litter box, you can thwart him by putting a grid in the litter box:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93 (check 1/3 of the way down the first page)

for cord proofing, you can get something called flex tubing at home depot (it's really cheap) and use it to wrap cords that you can't keep hidden

if you're using pine, make sure it's kiln dried pine, otherwise it's toxic to bunnies

Sounds typical to me as well. If he's not neutered it may explain the sudden need for destruction but all in all it doesn't sound to concerning. Mind you even neutering him might not change these kinds of behaviors, just make it milder is all. Besides he's young, wait until the hormones really kick in.

Puberty was a thought of mine as well.
For his head, is he getting dirty or is it possible that he's molting? My buns always seem to start their molts by losing the fur on their faces, sometimes with a v-shape.

how old is he?

the digging and rearranging of everything is maturing rabbit behaviour.

Between one and five years. The vet said she thinks about one year, but the lady at the pet store where we adopted him said his owners had him for a couple of years.

Sounds typical to me as well. If he's not neutered it may explain the sudden need for destruction but all in all it doesn't sound to concerning. Mind you even neutering him might not change these kinds of behaviors, just make it milder is all. Besides he's young, wait until the hormones really kick in.

Well, because of an enlarged and low-hanging testicle, we had him neutered the week after we brought him home (we think he's between one and five years old). The vet said it might take a few weeks for the male hormones to leave his body - I thought that might have something to do with it. It's not a big deal at all though, as long as he has everything how he likes it!

Puberty was a thought of mine as well.
For his head, is he getting dirty or is it possible that he's molting? My buns always seem to start their molts by losing the fur on their faces, sometimes with a v-shape.

Lol, it's a little embarrassing, but I'm thinking the dirtiness is from me! I snuggle him way too much, and kiss his head a lot, lol. And I think his little head is oily (gross!). I will get some baby wipes.

Again, thanks for all the great advice! Sounds like Coco is doing fine and progressing normally. I have made note of the recommendations for cord coverings, kiln dried pine chips, and others. I appreciate it very much!!

Latest posts

Back