Problems with water bottles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mika

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Mika has been drinking water from a bowl ever since I got her (justunder 1 yr now) and I recently tried to switch her to a bottle.

How long does it take for bunnies to learn to drink from thebottle? I've been trying all day, and she licks the ball, butshe doesn't do it hard enough so that water comes out.

Does anyone else have this problem? Also, does the waterbottle ball 'go dry' sometimes even when there is water inthere? I use my finger to move the ball, and sometimes nowater comes out....only after i bang on it a few times to get airbubbles out, then water will come out.

Any solutions?

I have the extra large bottle - here is a picture:

http://www.livingworld.com/EN/pdf/sale_sheets/water_bottles_secure.pdf

Thanks!

Carina

I'm not sure about the probs you seem to be having with your bottle...

But as far as your bun getting used to drinking from it, it should bewithin a day, I would think. She'll test it, realize it's gotwater in it, and figure it out. Maisie figured it out by theend of the day we bought it, but I think others might take longer.

If there's a problem with the water coming out, though, you mightconsider taking it back to the store, showing them it doesn't work, andthey should be willing to replace it at no charge.You should be able to feel water on your finger when you push the ballin, or turn it around a bit. If you don't then I wouldsuggest taking it back for a new one.

Anyway, let us know how it goes, ok?

Of course, I've only had my bun for about a month, but I'm sure othersthat are more experienced will have better advice. :)

Hi,

First, I have pushed my finger in the ball to get the water coming out,but that only lasts for so long - it goes in cycles and I have to bangon the bottle to get the air out before water comes out again - i'm notsure if other water bottles are like this too?

Second, I want to switch from bowl to bottle because it's cleaner, andI don't have to worry about the water being tipped over while i'm awayat work.

So far, it's been a day and Mika knows that water comes out of thebottle, but she doesn't push hard enough on the ball to make it comeout.....so i've put the bowl back in now so she doesn't dehydrate.

Carina

Good thinking putting the bowl back in. Water's very important for a bunny's digestion to run smoothly.

I would suggest definitely taking the bottle back to the store youbought it and exchanging it for another. They should do itwith no prob if you have a receipt.

Another thing...I would consider maybe trying a different onealtogether. I don't know much about the one you gave a linkto, but the cheapo one we bought is working just fine. :)

Edit: Let us know how it goes, ok? :)

Mika wrote:
Hi,

First, I have pushed my finger in the ball to get the water coming out,but that only lasts for so long - it goes in cycles and I have to bangon the bottle to get the air out before water comes out again - i'm notsure if other water bottles are like this too?

Second, I want to switch from bowl to bottle because it's cleaner, andI don't have to worry about the water being tipped over while i'm awayat work.

So far, it's been a day and Mika knows that water comes out of thebottle, but she doesn't push hard enough on the ball to make it comeout.....so i've put the bowl back in now so she doesn't dehydrate.

Carina

If you touch the tip of the bottle it should bewet..there is something wrong with the bottle top...I have run intoproblems with water bottles at times..what especially irks me is havingall the water drip out of a new bottle...I use water bottles for someand bowls for others..didn't know they drink more with bowls so may getbowls too Thanks Nadezhda :D

Hi there, I had trouble switching my bun from abowl to a water bottle, and since I didn't want him to get dehydrated,I kept the bowl in with the water bottle. He eventuallyfigured it out. I think it took him aroud 2-3 days, but nowhe will drink from either-good luck-Hannah

Just an idea, as I watch Zorro flip his hay basket around with his e-collar...

I should try to find corner containers. I could drill holesinto them, and secure them to the corner of the cage with zip tiesmaybe. Then I could have tip-free water bowls, and reclaim mysoup dishes!

What's an e-collar?? I've never heard of that one...

Latest posts

Back