Problems with bonding....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Erik is my two-year-old neutered male, and Ivory is a less-than-one-year spayed female.

The problem is...getting them to bond again.

Back in June, I went on vacation, and left Erik with the person who runs MHRR. I told her that she could bond him to whomever he would tolerate. Well, they had just gotten in a rabbit named Ivory, so she attempted to see if they would get along.

They got along quite well, so I said that I would take her. But I couldn't take her immediately.

This weekend, I brought Ivory home. She is a sweet rabbit but has her skittish moments. Personally I think she's mentally traumatized from the dog attack (she was found because she was screaming, as a dog was attacking her. Someone went outside to investigate and chased the dog off, and brought her in.) But as a general rule with a little patience she really likes to be petted, brushed, and interacted with.

The problem is that she and Erik aren't just going through the beginnings of bunny-bonding. I've been doing everything I"m supposed to- her cage is in my room, as Erik is a free-range rabbit, and he can sniff and smell her all he wants to.

I let them interact on neutral territory today and it was kind of a disaster. The little scuffles I expected, the sniffing I expected, the chasing I expected. But then they both got each other in a death hold and wouldn't let go. When I say "death hold", I mean, they were on the ground, bellies up, teeth sunk into the other one's scruff and neither was letting go. Blood was drawn on both parts.

In other words, we are having some seriously dominate/submissive problems.

When Erik has his bonded friend before, he was the submissive one. But he enjoyed a lot of time being the dominant after his friend died, and got used to that. And yet he seems lonely.

I know that it's early, but this death-hold seems to be a not-good omen. I sort of have this sinking feeling when it comes to these two, which is so surprising becaue they got along really well at the rescue. I think I'm going to bring them both back so they can bond on unfamiliar territory, but I don't know if that will work or not with this behavior.

I guess what I want to know is, what are the chances of their getting along?
Blood was drawn, and neither seems to be relenting. And yet, whenever she is back in her cage and Erik in the room, he just sort of ignores her, doesn't even pay attention to her at all.

*sigh* I need help.

"The Bunz of Our Lives...."

Oh no, sorry to hear about this tiff. I'm thinking if Erik is free range, is there any "real" neutral territory? Maybe Erik thinks it's all his? The "sniffing and smelling her all he wants to" leads me to believe that she is almost acceptable to him whenever, and he thinks he is the boss and she is trying to defend herself perhaps?

Just my thought, not sure. Can you tell us more about the housing you keep for them? Where is he allowed, etc? This may help us to figure this out for you, I hope:hug:.

I was thinking the same thing, wondering if there was any really neutral territory.

Erik is allowed free-range of my room all the time. When I am there to supervise him, he is allowed in the living room and hallways. We have to block off his access to the kitchen and utlity rooms, as he chews things he's not supposed to chew, like our nice, expensive new woodwork, lol.

Erik's cage is on the opposite side of my room from Ivory's. Ivory stays in her cage, except for when it is exercise time. They sniff each other pretty objectively, neither seem to really care or want to get at one another.

He definitely does think that he is the boss, and Ivory is not going to be submissive. She is too defensive for that. Like I said, that dog attack has her on constant alarm and alert. Even petting and feeding her is a bit of a task- it takes a little charm and patience to calm her down. She snorts, grunts, and honks quite loudly when I put my hand in her cage to feed her, and she boxes. But after a few sniffs she will let me pet her and she actually really likes being brushed and getting petted...

But she still has this constant fear of being attacked, even though the dogs didn't seem to bother her very much. Well, it was only the Pug, and Roxie hardly counts as a dog anyway.

Here she is getting pet...she really likes to be pet and stroked. She widened her eyes a little when the camera flashed but she was all cozied up and melted into the floor right before.

dsc00299og9.jpg

Honestly? I'm starting to think that I really, really, really shouldn't push this issue until she is more trusting. I know it hasn't been long since I've brought her home. Maybe I should just let her hop around by herself and not let her and Erik really interact without cage bars in between them.

She also needs a bit of a bum wash, but I haven't worked up the courage to really rinse her off. I mean, it's just some urine stains, no perineal scalding or anything of that nature.

I admit that it was a little scary to see them in that death grip. Seriously...they both had bellies up and teeth in, and they weren't letting go for crap. Actually, I'm not sure if it was both of them, or if one let go, but there was a little blood on both of their parts... Not to mention she's about twice as big as Erik, and he's in the process of losing a little weight, to get back to four pounds. And I put her at about seven/eight pounds. I'm not sure what breed she is, I always assumed a New Zealand white.

OKay but I'm rambling now...

how about putting them in the bathtub but monitor the play time... This will make them focus on getting traction and sliding all over the place. we did that with our couple and it worked fine... but be careful if you do because you will never know if they are attacking or just trying to get traction. Also you can try to put peanut butter on the other head.. or what ever they like to eat as a treat.. it might change the mind of Ivory.

Good luck.. its tuff, but give it time.

Thanks,

Jeff

Latest posts

Back