Problem with bunny's eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toaster

Reaction score
We recently adopted a lop ear bunny. He is around 6 or 7 years old and generally really happy and loving. He developed some sort of infection in his eye which he was taken to the vet for. They gave us cream to put on it and clean it with a cotton swab. But a scab ended up forming below his eye that covers almost his whole cheek. Not sure if it was from being constantly wet from the eye's discharge or what. But now "Bobby" has started to peel the scab off and it seems like it is taking a lot of skin with it. Its looks like it is infected behind the scab as well, it is white and almost creamy. We have been putting polysporin on it along with a warm tea bag (worked for us as kids and helped more than the cream from the vet). He seems very happy still, he is eating a lot, drinking, still jumping around and running throughout the house and he doesn't seem to be in pain.

Has anybody had to deal with this before? Or know what might have cause this and how to treat it properly?

We've had this happen witha few of our oldHolland Lops. Applying a moist, warm compress can help you to remove the scab. I apply Vaseline to protect the skin from the drainage and to prevent it from scabbing up again. ApplyingVaseline for a couple days can also help with scab removal.It can be rinsed off with saline solution.It is caused by the drainage from the eye. You may want the vet to check to see if a tear duct is blocked.

I am going through something similar with my Becky. She has had runny eyes since December of last year. It has always run clear, but sticky. The vet had her on 4 different eye drops, an oral, and flushed her tear ducts. Ears and teeth were checked. I finally got so fed up that I got a second opinion when they wanted to flush her tear ducts every other day. Way too stressful!

At that point the fur below her eye peeled off and I felt horribly guilty for it getting so bad. Luckily the new vet knew how to help her right away. I'm using the warm wet washcloth to keep her face clean. Apparently the first vet was prescribing the wrong antibiotics (they didn't do a culture). Now I know it is Pastuerella and which antibiotic will work. Eye drops twice a day, oral antibiotic once a day, and benebac once a day. The fur has grown back and one eye is clear. We are still working on the other eye, but she's feeling good enough to be a pain about getting her medicine. :)

The vet suspects that the infection actually started in her middle ear and then spread through the sinuses/tear ducts because Becky shakes her head and scratches at her right ear frequently. The antibiotics should clear up any infection in her ears as well. Apparently with the loppy ears this is more common.

You are not alone. I wish the best for your little one. Be sure to keep treating until all signs of infection are gone so the rabbit's immune system can keep it from coming back.

Use a warm, moist cloth to keep her eyes clean and as stated above, use Vaseline. There is probably a tear duct blockage or a problem with her teeth could have caused it. Is she drooling and are her teeth over grown?? Good luck and I hope he gets better :)

Hope this helps :)

MiniLopHop: I'm having a similar problem with my Snuffers (a 4 year old Holland Lop). They think she has pasteurella.She has been on many different medications since February, andcurrently gets a penicilin shot once a week, ear drops (Tresaderm) once a day, nose/ eye drops (Gentocin) twice a day, and children's Benadryl orally twice a day. Her breathing sounds better (I think because of the benadryl), but her eyes are still watering, she is still losing hair below her eyes, and she still has an ear infection. Her weight is also still down, but she eats good. What specific medicines is your rabbit on, and how well are they helping? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back