probably a dumb question....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoecat6

Reaction score
I have read repeatedly that you shouldn't feediceberg lettuce to your rabbits, I am wondering the reason whynot. I thought iceberg lettuce was mostly water and verylittle calories. If a rabbits diet is well roundedand yousupplimented with iceberg lettuce how does it harm therabbit?Sorry justcurious:ponder:.

Iceberg lettuce because of the highwater content can lead to diarrhea. Most rabbits get plenty of waterdaily and the extra water in the lettuce just does more harm thangood.

That said, if a rabbit isn't drinking as much as they shouldand are in danger of dehydration you can give iceberg to stave offdehydration. It helps get water in them.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Mostly, because iceberg lettuce has very little,if any, nutritional value.A tiny bitisnot going to *kill* your rabbit or anything, but there aremuch healthier veggies out there.

I have personally done a lot of research onthis. There are many things said about iceburg lettuce, and sortingthrough reality and perception can be difficult.

The main reason is this, iceburg lettuce contains very littlenutritional value for your bunny. You dont want to feed itemsto your bunny that will fill your bunny but not given the nutrients itneeds. This is also why you should try to feed hay as opposed to straw.

Second, in some bunnies, but not all, iceburg lettuce can cause diarreha.

No question is a stupid question:), but try tofeed your rabbit something that has more of a nutritional value, myrabbit really likes parsley and collards, also i heard dandelion greensare very good greens to feed.

Ok sinceI brought the subject up Letme explain a bit as to the whyI would use IceBurg lettuce ,My kids have been getting wellrounded diets , I do not feedIceburg ( head lettuce ) on anyregular basis , they are very lucky toget it once in a blue moon , MyMr Bun Bun was severly dehydrated theother day i was atwitts end as to what would help himregain his appitite and get him drinking , HEis the only rabbit that didthis and the only one to getpreferencial treatment , I had triedeverything else BEFORE resorting to thehead lettuce, This includes thetougher greens such as kale ,romaine and parsley , He refused them all. and no Bun loves his greens more thanthe Mr. this is how i knew iwas in deep doo doowith him one more time.

Bun Bun has had head lettuce before inthe past he is basically adapted to it , Hehas done this to me a couple oftimes before ,A 3 finger pinchis technically not very much, as long as you dont use thewhole length of your finger , ionly use the very tips of myfinger for the pinch resulting ina very small amount .

I do not recomend nor suggestanyone feed the ice burgit really isnt good for them .and hence can create moreproblems than one is trying tosolve .But with Him it issometimes a last ditch effortand I do realize that one of thesetimes if he goes into thesespells because of the weather , eventhe Ice Burg lettuce isnt going to pullhim through , To say I got luckyone more time is a blessing forme and my 8 yr old .

A good rule to thumb is: If Idont eat certain things, i am not goingto give it to my Rabbits ,I do not allow Ice Burg lettuce in myhouse , due in part someone notthinkingor knowing the differencemay feed it to one ofthe rabbits and not tell me, and having an end resultof a very sick rabbitand I wouldnt knowwhy .

that in its own is a scarey thought . IceBurg lettuce has no nutrition to it ,being mainly fluids it will over hydratea rabbits system , causingsevere diahreah , which in turn dehydratesthem worse than they already were .

I truely hope this helps and Ihavent rambled too much and Ireally hope this made sense .

Latest posts

Back