Prince's Life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Hi there everyone! I want to post this blog about Prince's life with me, the 2 1/2 years that he was alive. I hope you all enjoy the blog.

It all started when I was looking on craigslist for a bunny friend for Sweetie. I clicked on a post and I answered it. This was during the winter storm we had in 2008. I ddin't get to pick up the rabbit until January 11th 2009. When I got to the breeder's place, I noticed that she had the rabbit in a cage in the garage. I think she gotthe rabbitready for me to take home. I picked the rabbit up and checked it over. Of course the breeder told me that the rabbit had digestive issue, but was recovering. I checked the sex of the rabbit, sure enough it was a boy. I had planned to call the rabbit, Princess. I had to shorten it to Prince because it turned out to be a boy instead of a girl.

So I got Prince home and introduced him to Sweetie. Sweetie was in her cage and I told her to share her cage with the new rabbit, which she did. At night, I put him in the other cage that I bought so that there would be no fights as they have just been introduced. While I had them meeting each other, Prince proceeded to hump Sweetie. I thought that there were going to be babies.

I will continue this when I return home, actually I will continue either tonight or tomorrow.

Well let's see here, oh yes. After they got together and instantly bonded they were inseparable. They groomed each other and were very happy together.

He was neutered in February 2009. After his neuter, I had to keep him and Sweetie separated for two months so that his hormones would calm down.

Prince first got ear mites when he was almost a year old. I took him to the vet and he was treated with ivermectin. The ear mites cleared up after two doses.

After a while of not getting sick, Prince had another issue, molar spurs. How I knew he had molar spurs was when he wasn't eating or drinking. So to the vet in Kirkland to get his teeth filed down. The vet there had to sedate him because he was too hyper and would hold still under local anestetic(sp). After he had his molars trimmed he had no other issues, because I kept giving him hay to eat. After the surgery, I had to give him pain meds. He felt so much better. He ate and drank.

I can't remember when he was dehydrated. Whether or not it was during his molar spurs or separate from that.

Next, when I moved into Erlands Point Apartments, he didn't get sick too much. But one day, I had Sweetie with me in my bedroom and I heard an odd noise so Sweetie and I checked it out and come to find out Prince was sitting in pain, so I felt his leg because he had it lifted up like it was hurting. I couldn't feel anything broken so I emailed my vet and he suggested that I take Prince to All Creatures. They took xrays of his back right leg, and come to find out: Prince broke his leg above the knee. He jumped from off the top of the cage which is a little over 2 feet. He probably tried to jump onto the playpen and missed and fell to the floor and that is what broke his leg. Anyway, I was in tears because I had two options: 1) put him down; I wasn't going to let him live in pain, or with his leg like it was; 2) get approved for Care Credit, which I heard of. I decided to try to see if I could get Care Credit. I was approved. My mom helped me pay the rest of the vet bill because I didn't have enough to cover it. So Prince had the surgery on his leg and had to be in a small carrier for a total of 10 weeks. On average it takes rabbit bones 6 to 8 weeks to heal. His bones took a little longer to heal.

Then he had these "tics" like a person has when they have tourette syndrome. Both my vet and I could not figure out what was wrong. I was thinking that Prince could have calcium deficiency, because it took 10 weeks for his leg to heal. My vet tested Prince for EC (E. cuniculi) which he came up negative for it. The vet also did a small animal panel, which everything turned up normal. So no one knew why Prince was having these "tics". They were seizure-like symptoms, but we couldn't figure out why he was having them because everything was normal.

Well when I fed Prince some alfalfa hay that I bought when I had the money, his "tics" would stop for a while. So I thought calcium deficiency. I still think that was the problem but I will never know now.

Prince didn't have another issue until August 31, 2011. The night before I noticed that Prince was a little off, but I didn't think anything of it because he always bounced back from being a little off. The morning of August 31, 2011, at about 9:30am, I found Prince in the corner of the cage face down in the corner. I freaked. I took him out of the cage and set him on the floor by the cage, he was very limp, lifeless. I rushed to my cell phone to call the vet and they said to bring him in. So I remembered that it was Wednesday so I called my mom's best friend and she took me and Prince to the vet. My vet took him as soon as we got there and put him on oxygen, gave him some corn syrup because his blood glucose was low. He took his temperature and it was 6 degrees below normal. As soon as the vet got the IV, catheter(sp), in Prince, Prince's heart stopped. As I was getting Prince ready to get to the vet, I told Sweetie that Prince may not be coming home. She was at the opposite side of the cage than Prince when I found him.

Prince was a purebred Netherland Dwarf rabbit that I loved very much and he was very well taken care of. Everytime he was sick, he was at the vet getting something so that he would feel better. He did share his life with his bondmate, Sweetie. They instantly bonded with each other. Sweetie was the first one I got, then I got Prince.

They only had one fight during their friendship. When Prince came home after his surgery on his leg and had to be away from Sweetie for 10 weeks while he healed, Sweetie didn't recognize him after he healed from having his leg fixed. I had to tell her over and over that it was Prince and not a different rabbit. She calmed down and accepted Prince back.

Prince will always be in Sweetie's and my heart. No Prince was not my heart bunny. But I miss him every single day.

When he passed away I noticed that my vet was also upset, I guess he liked Prince as much as I did. When my vet told me I thought that it was my fault somehow. My vet reassured me that Prince's death was not my fault.

Prince was the first purebred rabbit that I ever had and I am missing him every single day. I know that Sweetie is missing him as well.

I hope that you have enjoyed reading this blog. I will put memories that I have of Prince in this blog.

There is one memory that I remember about Prince and I will never forget. I was trimming his nails and I did his bad leg first and he licked me. I melted with love, because he never licked me before. It was so sweet of Prince to lick me, I knew that he loved me.

Thanks for posting your time with Prince. You did so much for this sweet guy and to have that "special" memory of that affectionate kiss (nail clipping story) know means so much to you.

Sometimes animals just get into your heart and will leave that mark on you. As much as it hurts when they are gone, it's priceless to have that experience.

Hoping you and Sweetie's sadness of the loss of Prince turns to a happy mark on your heart.

Hoping to hear more about Sweetie. Again thanks for sharing your story of Prince.

K :)

Thank you ZRabbits. I will blog about Sweetie later though. I have to put it on paper first, because there is so much to write about her.

Prince was a very sweet rabbit and I am so glad that I have that memory of him.

He also would zoom, doing bunny 500s around the rabbit area like he was on speed. He would binky all the time, he was happy all the time.

It was hard to write the part about when he passed because when he passed he was only 2 1/2 years old. He was a young rabbit and had been through so much, I thought that he was going to live his full life, but he didn't, he only lived 2 1/2 years.

Here is Sweetie and Prince together:

0111112215.jpg

Also here is Prince:

0108111924a.jpg

Sweetie wrote:
Here is Sweetie and Prince together:

0111112215.jpg

Also here is Prince:

0108111924a.jpg

What a handsome bunny Prince was. Love the color behind the ears. Yes definitely sad that he left so young. Understand why you miss him.

It's tough taking photos of black bunnies. Believe me, take tons of pics. Thank heaven for digital.

K :)

If I can find the avatar one that I have then I will post that one. Because it is the best one that I have of Sweetie.

Prince was amazing! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back