Prince and Isis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darfi

Reaction score
Prince Bio: Sex-Buck

Weight- 2.5 lbs

Eyes-Dark Brown

Coat-sheer white except a black eyeliner effect around the eyes

Favorite treat-Kellogg's Honey Crunch Corn Flakes

Favorite toy-paper

Reason for his name-Named after the music artist formerly known

asPrincedue to the eyeliner effect around his eyes.

Isis Bio: Sex- Doe

Weight-4 lbs

Eyes-blue

Coat-sheer white

Favorite treat-Timothy hay

Favorite toy-electrical cables :X

Reasonfor her name-Named after the Egyptian Goddess of nature and

fertility.

Welcome to RO.

Do you have pictures of your two babies? I'm sure everyone on here would love to see them.

Susan and the Gang:bunnydance::apollo::bunny19:bunnyheart

I am looking forward to hearing more about yourbunnies. Are you trying to bond them? Are theyspayed/neutered?

They sound very cute!
I also love their names.
One thing though--hay should not be a "treat" it should be offered inunlimited quantities as it is actually very important. Give themTimothy hay and then every once in a while I like to give Phinn somebermuda or orchard hay as more of a treat. Other great treats are fruit(apples, bananas)

Got any pics??

K I cant post 2 pics in one post so i'll post 2replys here. Anyhoo, I do know that hay is vital and she does get ahuge clump everyday, it's just that so far of everything i've offeredher, Timothy Hay is her very favorite and that's why to her itsconsidered a treat :)

They are adorable!

I read in your intro that you are thinking of breeding them, is there any way I can talk you out of it? :)

We've had so many members here who breed their pets (and have nobreeding experience) and it is just heartbreaking and devastating toeveryone when something happens to the mom or the babies, or they havetrouble rehoming the babies (who sexually mature quite fast and canhave more babies of their own). I just want to save you the heartbreakif youre not serious about breeding. Not to mention they would becross-breeds, which are often more difficultto rehome.

If youre interested in having more bunnies around, youcouldtry volunteering with SARS, located in BC. We have a lotof members who help out and foster for them and its wonderful. Thereare so many bunnies who need homes in your area.

Sorry for ranting, I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into.

Your babies are adorable and I hope we can see more!

Well, I do see your point though I do actuallyhave experience breeding rabbits when my father raised them from hispretty much 'for hire' buck which he set free after the deed was done(we lived in a forest area)my doe Phiona and my sister's doe,Jewel. We had them outside in seperate hutches with straw and waterdishes. We fed them the vegetables from the garden and nutritiouspellets. I was to take care of my rabbit and her offspring and mysister had to do the same for hers. Unfortunately my dad never told usuntil it was time that the offspring were for eating. He did tell usnot to name them but he said it was because we shouldn't get attatchedto pets we aren't going to keep so we assumed that they would be soldto other families or a pet store.

I would like to breed these two atleast once. I do have some homesalready being lined up, so far I have 2 suitable homes and Isis isn'teven fully mature yet to breed. I will also call the local pet storesto see if they would take the bunnies too in the event that I can'tfind homes for the full litter. There are 3 major pet stores here inKamloops.

So if anyone has any extra knowledge about breeding rabbits that Ididn't find online and in my rabbit manual and from my dad, please doshare. Perhaps the best bedding for a hutch, any special treatsespecially wonderful for a pregnant doe...

Thanks!

Hey there! How are you doing today?:D Glad to see another BCer :).

Aww I love the pictures! What darlings:). Very cute! :wiggle

I alsoagree with Haley. I have heardway too manyhorror stories about people in your same situation, only wanting tobreed once or twice. In one case on another board, a lady was in thesame situation as you are. She thought she would just breed once. Thedoe passed after kindling.

There areconsiderable breeding complications, and I reallyjust hate to hear about someone wanting to breed their pets because Ihave known people who have gone through the heart ache when somethingterrible occurs and have regretted it.

I know SARS BC is packed with rabbits wanting to be adopted, maybe thepeople wanting the babies should look into them? I would avoid sellingto pet stores as well because many times the rabbits are bought as petsfor children and dumped or forgottenafterthenovelty wears off.

I justdon't want youor your rabbits to get hurt.:hug2:

Darfi wrote:
Well, I do see your point though I do actually haveexperience breeding rabbits when my father raised them from his prettymuch 'for hire' buck which he set free after the deed was done (welived in a forest area)my doe Phiona and my sister's doe,Jewel.
Well, for one, we have a slogan at my shelter: setting your rabbit loose does not make her free, it makes her food.

Also, these rabbits are different breeds. There are so manymixed breed and purebred rabbits in shelters all over. Iunderstand breeding for the purpose of improving a breed, but thoserabbits should be shown as should their offspring.

The offspring of your rabbits will not be able to be shown.They will be pets, not that there is anything wrong with pets, butthere are so many unwanted rabbits that would make perfectpets.

You say that petstores will take the bunnies, but you don't know thatthe people who will buy them will take care of them the way you wantthem to be taken care of. You don't know that the store willtake care of them well either.

Darfi, this forum supports breeders every bit asmuch as we support rescuers. But frankly, this post coversabsolutely every bad move that's causedthe HUGE problemsfacingrabbits in BC --especially inKamloops! Your actions will ultimately cost many many bunniestheirvery lives.

For every kit you do manage to find a home for, there's an equal numberthat will be euthanized in a shelter. The number of homesisnot infinite!

And you have absolutely no control over what happens to the offspringonce they leave your care, but sure as shootin',somebody whoends up with them will have more litters, and those litters will havelitters, and many, many more will die. One breedingpair can generate1000 rabbits in justayear. Do the math. Many will beeuthanized, many more will be set 'free' -- to live a 'free' lifecovered in parasitesand infectionsdomestic Europeanbunnies have no defences against, starved, chased and eaten by a myriadof unnatural predators.

Kamloops has a huge problem with feral domestic rabbits. Manyof us are trying so hard to round them up and get them spayed/neuteredand into a habitat, but it's a battle that we are losing verybadly. They will be shot and poisoned instead,legally. Even now, local teens in your area are currentlychasing and killing them for sport.

Pet shop bunnies are the worst. They are the victims of'impulse buyers' who haveno conceptof what it takesto have a rabbit as a pet, and they find out the hard way--hard for the bunnies -- that it wasn't a goodidea. The poor rabbiteither join the feral colonies(or try to, only to be killed in a territorial dispute with anotherrabbit), or they're abandoned in a small cage or hutchsomewhere,bored, lonely and horribly neglected.

Justtake a short cruise through the SARS site and see wherethe rabbits they rescue are coming from and the shape theirin. Findingbunnies indumpsters isactually COMMON! The rescue groups and the SPCAs arecontacted literallyaboutat least adozenrabbits in trouble EVERY DAY, and maybe -- just maybe -- they can helpout ONE of them.

We support the breeding of purebred rabbits for pets and show, butthiskind of backyard breeding is so wrong, and you're doingit for all the wrong reasons.

BC is in a crisis, and you're honestly the face of thatcrisis. I'm sorry, but you're not going to get much supporthere.

We love bunnies.

:sad:

sas

Pipp wrote:
Darfi, this forum supports breeders every bit as much as wesupport rescuers. But frankly, this post covers absolutelyevery bad move that's causedthe HUGE problemsfacingrabbits in BC --especially inKamloops! Your actions will ultimately cost many many bunniestheirvery lives.

For every kit you do manage to find a home for, there's an equal numberthat will be euthanized in a shelter. The number of homesisnot infinite!

And you have absolutely no control over what happens to the offspringonce they leave your care, but sure as shootin',somebody whoends up with them will have more litters, and those litters will havelitters, and many, many more will die. One breedingpair can generate1000 rabbits in justayear. Do the math. Many will beeuthanized, many more will be set 'free' -- to live a 'free' lifecovered in parasitesand infectionsdomestic Europeanbunnies have no defences against, starved, chased and eaten by a myriadof unnatural predators.

Kamloops has a huge problem with feral domestic rabbits. Manyof us are trying so hard to round them up and get them spayed/neuteredand into a habitat, but it's a battle that we are losing verybadly. They will be shot and poisoned instead,legally. Even now, local teens in your area are currentlychasing and killing them for sport.

Pet shop bunnies are the worst. They are the victims of'impulse buyers' who haveno conceptof what it takesto have a rabbit as a pet, and they find out the hard way--hard for the bunnies -- that it wasn't a goodidea. The poor rabbiteither join the feral colonies(or try to, only to be killed in a territorial dispute with anotherrabbit), or they're abandoned in a small cage or hutchsomewhere,bored, lonely and horribly neglected.

Justtake a short cruise through the SARS site and see wherethe rabbits they rescue are coming from and the shape theirin. Findingbunnies indumpsters isactually COMMON! The rescue groups and the SPCAs arecontacted literallyaboutat least adozenrabbits in trouble EVERY DAY, and maybe -- just maybe -- they can helpout ONE of them.

We support the breeding of purebred rabbits for pets and show, butthiskind of backyard breeding is so wrong, and you're doingit for all the wrong reasons.

BC is in a crisis, and you're honestly the face of thatcrisis. I'm sorry, but you're not going to get much supporthere.

We love bunnies.

:sad:

sas
AWESOME AWESOME POST PIPP-THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT! This isthe sad fact that we have to face. So many need loving homes,there is NO NEED for this. Sorry, but I just had to say that.

Your buns are very cute. Please take this seriously.:)

I could'nt agree more to what every one issaying...setting the buck free was definately the wrong thing to do andprobably ended up being food for something...but you learn fromexperience and i'm not here to critisise you.If you really just *haveto* have little bunnlettes hoping around why don't you foster apregnant doe and then give her and the bunnlettes back once they areweaned?or adopt one and do the same thing....I sorta did that.....youcan read my blog titeled my four if you want to find out exactly whathappened....but lets just say i'm stuck w/ 3 litters of bunnlettesnow...I have to do an update on my blog soon cause now all the littersare born!and ways I g2g,
Samantha:bunnydance:

Wow, let me take a breath here. Kind of feelslike being pulled back from the path of a speeding train. I would neverever wish that sort of treatment on any animal on this still greenearth. I do have 2 homes lined up but I wouldn't want to have to worrythat the rest that may not make it to homes would face euthanizing orferal wilderness. Jeez. I am a full on supporter of protection againstcruelty to animals and I really had no idea that I was going to committhat kind of cruelty.

Thank you all for swaying my decision. Seriously. I feel reallyhorrified that I could have caused suffering to my rabbit's kits. Iwill get the male castrated A.S.A.P. and forget breeding them. If downthe road I have more acceptable living conditions for showing andbreeding, i'll reconsider breeding. I'll stick to my two buns as petsand ONLY pets. (which I love immensely) :D

Let me add that the choice to free the rabbits (he also freed mine andmy sister's rabbit) was not mine. It was my dad's. All parts of therabbit project of his was not my doing except my unknowing cooperationin breeding for eating.I hate that it happened and I do stillhold that hurt about it inside. It's hard not to pet my rabbits andremember the 22 shot gun as the full grown kits were slain, one by one.

Am I ever glad I found this forums for rabbit lovers.

I haven't had time to read thru all the postsyet but if you are thinking of breeding in Kamloops - PLEASE don't asthere are bunnies dying everyday in Kamloops.

Just last week I posted this thread

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=19783&forum_id=7

I get calls from the clinic each day to help save the buns that arebeing brought in to be killed just because no one is adopting them.

If you want to help to foster up in your area, we will set you up andhelp you get started. We could really, really, really use thehelp.

Darfi wrote:

Am I ever glad I found this forums for rabbit lovers.

We are glad you found us too! Thank you so much for listening to whatwe had to say and not getting angry with us for voicing our concerns. Iwish more people would respond the way you have. It truly shows yourmaturity and love for your bunnies.

Also, if the people who wanted a bunny are interested, we can give yousome info on SARS or other rescues near you who have tons and tons ofbunnies in need of homes.

:hug:Thank you for making my night a happy one.

:) Saw that you changed your mind

I'm so glad you aren't going to breed.I understand that is was your dad's doing and not yours. It'sdisgusting and stupid, but that's my opinion. It's hard toread graphical comments about what he did.:X

Latest posts

Back