pretty sure it is nothing, but just to be safe..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan1218

Reaction score
Marshmallow had been losing a lot of fur all over his body lately, i think it was shedding, so i didn't take much note of it. But today when I pet him, it felt a bit weird because I found a "thing" a little bit above his left leg. It was soft, and i touched and poked it, and my rabbit didn't show any sign of pain. I am not sure what it is, maybe it was just a brunch of fur.

2eoaedf.jpg

it is the part where i circled it...maybe his fur is just uneven..

2cny234.jpg

As you can see, the bottom part of his body had only a thin layer of fur , and then the rest of his body had much more fur..is this normal?

Hmm, I'm not sure I can offer much in regards to the thing you found on his body, its hard to tell by photo whether it is a small mat of fur or something else. Can you pull it back a bit and see if it attached directly to his skin? Can you get a flea comb between it and the skin? Is it shiny or fur colored? Only thing I can think of is it is either a mat of fur, an abscess hanging off skin, abnormal growth or less likely a botfly. If you determine it to be a mat, don't wet it but just try and work the comb through it dry. Sometime pieces of hay get caught and fur wraps around it. If it is really tough to work out you should bring Marshmallow to the vet so they can cut/shave it.

Also having various parts of body thicker/thinner in hair is totally normal. Loosing it in 'patches' on various areas of body is not. When my guys molt, they start at one side, it loosens all over the body to the next side. Last part to shed is usually the hindquarters. Are you brushing / plucking him often to get all the loose fur out?

have you figured out if it is just a hair mat.? If it was a tumor or abscess I would think it would feel like a lump..also it would feel like a lump if it was a bot fly larvae.

Hey, I checked again next day and turned out that it is just a brunch of fur that is shedding, but now I think marshmallow had hairball because this massive shedding. Does this tell you that he had hairball?

3.jpg

Also, does hairball remedy had an expiration date? because i bought mine for 4 years, and only used a little bit of it.

I agree with Pam, that looks normal for a bunny who is shedding. The white on the floor isnt his urine though is it?

Dont use hairball remedy on rabbits, it can be actually very harmful. Rabbits dont get "hairballs' the way cats do, they get blockages that can be very difficult to deal with if they do ingest a lot of hair and dont pass it properly. The hairball remedies can make blockages worse in some cases. Its better just to make sure hes getting lots of fiber like timothy hay and lots of water.

Is he eating and acting normally?

Latest posts

Back