Preps for New Years' Fireworks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunarlady

Reaction score
Hi guys!

The New Year's coming in fast and I can't wait for 2013! However, I've come to notice that my bunnies, Sylvia and Blanco, get quite afraid of the fireworks and the loud sounds they make. My neighbors were testing some of their fireworks earlier this evening, which woke me up and made me grumpy, and I noticed that my bunnies rushed to the farthest part of their cage. :(

I felt so bad, I let them out to pet them and let them run around. I wanted to let them know that everything is alright. They seem fine now, and enjoyed the short freedom I afforded them. But I'm worried for New Year's Eve and the day itself. Here in our village, we are big fireworks people and I know how loud it can get when everyone simultaneously lets out their fireworks.

Do you have any advice for me on how to prepare my bunnies and make them feel safe for the oncoming celebrations?

Thanks a lot in advance, guys!

Last edited:
I never prep my animals for fireworks. The extent that I go to is making sure they are all inside (if they are used to it) and give them a little extra attention. Also something that you could do is give some extra muchie foods so that if they are stressed they could eat (works for when I am stressed). To give them munchie foods, you could give veggies right before the major firework desplay/loudest time, extra veggies, treats that take a while to eat. You could also give new toys such as a new willow ball. Make it so they are focussed on something other than the noise and you should be fine. I have never done any of these things myself. My animals tend to not notice things like this.

you could always try having the TV or radio on kinda loud in whatever room they're in, to drown out the fireworks sounds a bit. another idea would be if you have a decent-sized closet or (windowless) bathroom in the middle part of your home where you could put them for the evening, that would provide more insulation from sounds than anywhere else in the house.

Back