Pregnant?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelbug

Reaction score
I should have known something was up when She-Ra went from making angry chicken noises and refusing to be petted or cuddled to squeaking and demanding to be petted and cuddled all the time....next, she quit tornado-ing her cage, i was shocked to see how orderly and neat the cage was, and how little pee was in their box. I put off spaying She-Ra for now, I woke up yesterday morning to find Skelly helping her pull her fur out and pasting it to the wall and floor behind the water heater...and later on that day, he was helping her shred newspaper and spread it behind the heater as well....they transferred every piece of fresh hay i gave them by mouth to the nest.....i didnt know males helped with the nest-building? or is my Skelly just a very sweet and helpful mate? I cant feel the babies under the skin of her belly yet, I called the vet and i will be taking She-Ra next Wednesday to get examined. If she really is pregnant (although I should mention that they really dont know how to do it properly--i have watched and its really funny and sad at the same time) Im going to have to change her diet arent I? switch from Timothy hay to Alfalfa, idk what else? and when do I need to keep her separated from Skelly? I hate to do it too soon, they are so close, im afraid it would really upset them both.....

I've never heard a male help with getting a "nest" ready, but then again, maybe someone who has a "Colony" herd has heard it.

I'd wait until you see the Vet to make any changes in diet. The Vet will probably be able to help you. If it was me, I'd make up a list of questions just to have on hand. Especially about diet, when to separate (if you really have to) because your male sounds like a GEM and it might be good for both of them to be with each other when and if the time comes. Also if you have to separate, when they can be reunited. Also questions about the kits as well, feeding, weaning, etc.

No matter if they look funny trying to do it, they might just get it right just one time and that's all it takes.lol.

Hoping it's just a "false" pregnancy. Let us know what you find out from the Doc.

K:)

i was told that bucks are EXCELLENT fathers and if I hurry and have him neutered now, he will be recovered enough to share the birth process with her and help watch over the nest. I hate to do him that way, but if the only reason I would have to separate him from her is because he might get her knocked up again right after she gives birth, then im willing to do it. he seems so excited and happy that she is expecting, im really quite shocked to see a male animal act this way. he has always shared his treats with her, but now he will pick up his share of the treats and take them over to her, or if she is sniffing his share, he will push it towards her....

He does sound like a GEM. I would be worried about further pregnancies. Bunnies can get pregnant again during the pregnancy and have kits days after delivering the first round. Just be careful.

awww thanks! Skelly is his mommy's bunny! he used to hunch She-Ra about once a week and she would lay down flat on the kitchen floor and let him, but if he tried more than once or twice, she would growl at him and chase him until he left her alone! but i havent seen him bothering her in nearly 2 weeks....they spoon a lot or sit side by side in that all too familiar "bunny-loaf" position....the thought of her being pregnant in both horns and losing one or both of her litters really kinda scares me for her and him both...how common is this?

Another forum I read I saw pics of 16 babies. Two litters born days apart. It happens. I don't know how common it is, but it does happen. If this is her first litter, don't be surprised if kits don't make it. First Time Moms have it rough. Some do very well, but others don't. That's what makes me so nervous once Luna is pregnant and ready to deliver. I'm excited for the day, but also dread it. I have to be realistic about what really happens with First Time Moms. If your girl is pregnant, I'm hoping all goes well and you have little healthy kits.

I don't want to sound pesstimistci but it's unfortunately a reality in the Bunny World.

Latest posts

Back