Pregnant?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggie0506

Reaction score
We went away for the weekend and Flury managed to escape her shed (who knew rabbits could jump 3 FEET!?), anyway that problem is resolved now :). But today I noticed she had made a "nest" in a little box type thing we had made for her for the winter (there was still a small towl and newspaper in the bottom). She escaped the 5th of june so could she be pregnant? What should I do if she is? Is there any way to tell? (when I say nest I mean that she has pulled lots of fur)

High chance that she could be pregnant, and im going to say yes. she'll be Due around the 6th of July.

And it probably didn't help that we've been seeing an unknown rabbit around our house :(. So any advice for caring for Flurry/babies and general info about rabbit pregnancy would be VERY helpful :).

so she has pulled a lot of fur but not all of it is in the nest its sort of scattered around. Should i leave it or put it with the "nest"? And what could this mean?? Since right now the nest isnt in a very good spot (its small and has no front lip) should i move it to a proper nest box? could this be a false pregnancy, if so is there any major signs?

build her a nice nesting box, Babies can get out easy, i learned that the hard way last week.

I had my wooly/lionhead babies in the box that was on the hutch and some how the baby climbed out of the nesting box, squeeze threw the cage onto the floor and my dog took off with the baby. The baby had 4 holes in its head and was bleeding badly, The back leg was busted into pieces. I cleaned the best i could have done, and put it back in the nesting box, I couldnt kill it like alot of breeders would have done.

It looks like what you have here is a false pregnancy. The most major sign of a false pregnancy is when a doe pulls fur so early, usually around 18 days past breeding, or not breeding. That fits with the time frame. for her to pull fur 10 days early is too early to think that she is actually pregnant. Even so, it is possible I guess. If you want to leave the nest there until her due date it won't hurt, just in case she is actually pregnant.

As for special care instructions, if she is pregnant,she will probably want more food from now on, and after she has her babies increased food and water is very important to keep good milk production. As for caring for the babies, she should do that on her own. Don't worry if you don't see her feeding the babies all the time. They aren't like human babies who need to be fed every two hours. Momma bunnies will usually only feed their babies once per day in the frst wek of their life, and as they start to open their eyes at 10 days and explore, they go up to momma and drink for themselves.

And as for taking the babies out of the nest, that will be between you and her. If she defends her nest from you, you most likely don't need to worry about how the babies are doing and you will see them when they start to explore out of their nest. If she does let you take the babies out, just make sure that their tummies look full.

and a proper nestbox would be best as everyone else suggested.

Good luck with your doe and keep us updated! :)

Update: so I when I went to feed her today there was almost no fur in the nest, but tons of fur scattered everywhere. What does this mean? I'm assuyming then that it's just a false pregnancy :). Comments??

she probably was digging in her nest that she made and scattered the fur everywhere. That pretty much means it's time to just clean it up and you have nothing to worry about. I dn't think she would do that if she was planning to have babies in the nest.

So I left the fur she scattered everywhere alone (just put it into a pile) and today it has magicly dissapeared... If she was pregnant she was due yesterday but i cant find any babies. Im assuming she wasnt pregnat but we'll have to see. Any comments?

Hmmmm that is very interesting. Maybe look a little harder? The fur can't have just simply disappeared. She must have moved it somewhere.
I don't really know what else to say...

ya i think im going to do better search plus she didnt seem too interested with food today witch is strange cause usually her world revolves around it :( but that could also be the heat right?

Well, some rabbits give birth a couple days past thier due date, so your not quite free and clear yet.

A scattered nest also doesn't mean she is done; my lionhead who had an accidental pregnancy scatterd her nest everywhere.

But since she did nest so early, it might be a sign, but with all rabbits its different. Some nest a week before, some nest the night of.

Just keep an eye on her!

Pregnancy can be dangerous, but try not to worry so much. it does sound like a false pregnancy, but its better safe than sorry.

Does she feel heavier? That was the big sign for me, my rabbit was a lot heavier.

How hot is it? Does she not have a/c or a fan?

Its about 33C right now :( we have ac but she lives outside so nope. I spayed down hr shed with cold water witch helped cool it down a little as well as ice cubes in her water and a rfozen 2L water bottle to lie against any suggestions on keeping her cooler?? and she does feel abit heavier and looks a bit bigger but it might just be imagining that :?anyway well see what happens. ideas??

Back