Pregnant rabbit already nesting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielles_pets1

Reaction score
Hi, my pregnant rabbit, Bugs is already nesting. She is only about 3 weeks pregnant. Well i dont know the exact date she got pregnant because it was an accidental pregnancy, i just estimated. My buck escaped his cage while she was having floor time and i wasnt paying attention. Until i walked in on them.....Well, im just worried, does this early nesting mean she will have a early birth? Is this normal? She is a 6 year old Dutch rabbit. She was given to me from a friend. My friend got her from a rabbitry where she was over bred(back to back breeding). Do you think she will be okay? She is fed pellets, lettuce, grass, and timothy hay. I didnt palpate her because i dont trust myself. Any advice helps :)

Mine nested a week early. She ripped up a bunch of paper and Timothy hay into a nest. She had her babies at the right time though.

I had a doe nest a few weeks after I bred her and she never had babies, she nested because she knew she was bred. You could be experiencing something like that but some does nest early and end up having babies. Does her stomach look larger? Is she eating more? If you pull at the fur on her sides it should be loose and come off. Also, pregnant does are really protective and nippy.

Though not unheard of, she's kind of old to still be fertile. It could be a false pregnancy, but if it isn't, just watch her. She might be at higher risk for problems at her age.

I had a doe nest a few weeks after I bred her and she never had babies, she nested because she knew she was bred. You could be experiencing something like that but some does nest early and end up having babies. Does her stomach look larger? Is she eating more? If you pull at the fur on her sides it should be loose and come off. Also, pregnant does are really protective and nippy.

Her stomach does look larger. Yes she is also eating more. She isnt aggresive to me but i put a box my buck likes to sit in and chew on in her cage. I didnt leave it in there, but when she smelled it she started to thump.

Though not unheard of, she's kind of old to still be fertile. It could be a false pregnancy, but if it isn't, just watch her. She might be at higher risk for problems at her age.

Yeah, thats why im keeping a very close eye on her. I have everything i need incase she doesnt survive the birthing/nursing process. Oh jeez, im praying she will be okay.

For a rabbit her age, it might even be worth having a vet visit just to confirm the pregnancy and just go over any possible problems that may come up and what you might be able to do to help. If she is pregnant, it may go fine, but it could also be very serious for your rabbit.

Latest posts

Back