Pregnant Doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel4mum

Reaction score
I NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE, I have a 5-6 month old doe that I believe is pregnant, she was with my buck approx 32 days ago. She built a nest 3 days ago but hasn't lined it with fur. She has become very jumpy and will no longer allow me to touch her. She is drinking loads and is eating well. I am feeling very nervous for her as she is so young and I'm not sure what to expect. Why hasn't she pulled her fur and is she more likely to reject the babies as she is so young and it's her first litter. I need some advice and some reassurance please.

She isn't that overdue yet, I wouldn't start worrying till around day 35, then if you can feel babies inside her I would bring her to the vet to see if everything it ok, if the babies die inside her and she can't get them out they will poison her. Lot's of does don't start pulling fur until right before they give birth, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that yet. What breed is she? If she is a medium or small breed she wouldn't be considered too young for breeding, many rabbits are bred for their first time at six months.

First litters often don't make it, you will just have to keep an eye on her and monitor her well.

Have patience. I've had a number of does that don't kindle until day 33-35. Keep things quiet and calm around her and keep any eye on her. (I've had a few that didn't pull fur until the day after they kindle!)

As Grace mentioned, if you think she is pregnant and she doesn't deliver them in the next 2 days, I'd take her to the vet for a check.

Just checked on Princess and she has added more straw to her nest, but still not pulling fur....yet! She hasn't touched her pellets since yesterday but is still drinking loads of water and eating hay. Is it true that rabbits go off their food before they give birth?
She is in a nice quiet room upstairs, the only room in the house that my 4 kids are not allowed in.
Thank you for the advice so far. I will defo get her checked if there is no babies by friday.

Some does do go "off feed" right before they kindle. As long as she is drinking... and nibbling hay is good.... :)

Can you feel the kits inside her? If not she may be having a false pregnancy. If she is pregnant, just keep an eye on her- as long as she is nibbling hay and drinking I wouldn't worry too much.

I had a doe that didn't pull hair at all her first litter- I had to pull some for her.

I'm scared to feel her too much cos I don't want to hurt the kits. I've just let her out of the cage to have a run around and stretch her legs:bunnydance:
Would I be able to see the babies moving inside her when she is lying on her side?

If she is lying real still and at just the right angle, sometimes you can see movement. (But it can also be the normal gut undulations too... so it's hard to be sure). :D

Give her a day or two and see what happens. Do you think she has gained weight? Is she lying with her belly and legs to one side more than normal? (The last few days are always the hardest for me... I'm always so excited about an upcoming litter! This is where you need patience!)

From what I've read, many does prefer to kindle in private. It may be good to give her some quiet time alone, and only check on her every hour or two.

Patience! Give her time. I've had does build, knock down and re-build nests several times before kindling.... Leave her be...

It's natural to be worried, its because you care, but you're certainly in the right place to get great help and support for both you and her through this. :)

I know what you mean Flashy, I'm so glad my boyfriend found this forum, I've tried loads of other places to get some advice, even the vets, but this forum not only gives advice but support, which has helped me loads today.

It's really nice to see someone say that.

Some ace people have given you some ace advice :) Hopefully you will also stick around once this situation has passed (either by proving to be a real pregnancy or a false pregnancy) and share more pictures and stories of your buns :)

Ok, so I've left Princess alone for the night and check on her this morning to find she still hasn't rebuilt the nest. She has become very friendly again and allowed me to pick her up, so I felt her stomach and couldn't feel a thing, no movements or anything. So I'm left thinking that she isn't pregnant at all. What do you think? Should I reintroduce her to Benjamin?

Flashy: No not at all, Benjamin was castrated three weeks ago, just after he mated with Princess. He mated with Princess when they were first introduced and were being watched myself, he cornered her and mounted. I went over and had to physically remove him. I was told by the vet that there was a chance that she could of fallen, and to keep them seperate and watch to see if she makes a nest on day 28, which she did, thats why I thought she was pregnant. I will take your advice and keep Princess upstairs until Monday, that way I'll know for sure. Thanks

If he was only castrated 3 weeks ago then you need to NOT reintroduce them until at least 8 weeks after his neuter because he can still 'do the deed' up to that amount of time, so better to be safe than sorry and keep them completely apart.

Really? As long as that? The Vet told me that they can be reintroduced after 3 weeks. So is he still able to get her pregnant even though he has been done? WOW!!!!!

Latest posts

Back