Pregnant bunny, need help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furrybutts

Reaction score
I have a four month old dwarf rabbit, she concieved on either august 2nd, or 9th. If she did concieve on the 2nd she is now 27 days pregnant. Today i noticed a very little amount of fur on top of her hay, i gave her cage one last good cleaning, seeing as how i think she will be having kits soon. I let her out for a bit tonight, and noticed she was leaking small drops of what seemed to be clear fluid on the couch. I put her back in her cage, but since then she is not building her nest. What was the clear fluid? Could her water have broke? If so, how long until the kits come? Also, this wasnt a planned pregnancy, i did happen to get my male neutered, but i introduced them too early, (after two weeks) not knowing that it would literally only take 2 seconds for her to get pregnant. He is a full sized rex, could there be a possibility of her dying since she is a dwarf having full sized rex buns? please, help!!

Yes a rabbit's water does break just like any other animal and the small nest of rabbit hair means she might be expecting soon. The rabbits gestation period is anywhere from 28-34 days :)

Your buck should never be bigger than your doe. If the buck is bigger, the kits are bigger than she should be carrying. This means a harder pregnancy, more painful birth, more likely of difficulites during the birth including the babies being crushed to death while being born or stuck kits and a higher chance of losing your doe. Her hips will not be wide enough to allow the kits to pass safely if they are too big. She probably wouldn't have enough milk to keep them all alive as the kits would either be larger or there would be a larger litter. The babies will be larger than with a dwarf to dwarf breeding. They will take more nutrition away from her, and she may have a hard time pushing them through the birth canal due to their size.

Dwarf rabbits can die trying to give birth to large babies but hopefully everything will work out with your rabbit :) Here is a website you can go to if you want more info about caring for a pregnant rabbit and kits :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-a-Pregnant-Rabbit

Good luck and I hope I helped
:apollo:

yes, but i have also read that the kits only grow to the size that she can carry them, which would lead me to think that when she does push them out they will fit, just may not be developed enough to survive, what do you think about this?

Hmmm that is very interesting and it may be true but I have never heard that. I'm stumped! I don't know if the kits only grow the size the mother can carry them resulting in them possibly dying after birth or if they grow larger then she can carry them resulting in the babies maybe getting stuck. I guess we will have to do some more research ;)

I'd start talking to your vet about scheduling a c section. I have never heard that a baby would grow only as big as it has room, but I have heard of extreme complications during birthing from too big kits.

Back