Pregnant Bunnie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kookookachoo221

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was outsideyesterday and went to my bunnies cage, I realized that the girl hadpulled a ton of fur. My mom tried palpating the girl and feltreal big babies and the mom had a hard stomach. We hadn't putthem together in a long time though so we were planning on trying againin the spring so it wasn't so cold. I need help on knowingany type of information that would be helpful. Please help.

kookookachoo

My brother bunny had babies in September, but Idon't know much about that kinda stuff. Just make sure the mom isletting the babies eat. From what I'v observed, they will eat at night.They role on their backs, and go under her to get milk. We had a littleproblem when my brothers young girl didn't like that so much, but itall worked out. Hope that helped? :D I tryed.

~Mel

It does sound like a pending litter! Has the doe been exposed to abuck within the past 35 days?

Pam

I think we just put them together for justlike1 minute so we wernt planning on having babieseither,but that wasabout 1 monthago. I really think she is pregnant because the guyisnt pulling his fur. And my mom and I know that she is verylarge. I just tried to palpate her and i felt like 5 littlewalnut sized balls, are those babies?

kookookachoo

Better get the nestbox ready ASAP!Those "walnut" size balls are the kit's heads. Their bonesare rather soft right now, but the heads are rather easy to feel atthis stage of development.

Pam

Okay I will go to the store and get a lode ofstraw and other nessasary items for her. Her belly is reallytough too.I put in a temporary box just for lastnight but i am going to put in a new one soon. I didnt seeher in there alot though??? But she sure has pulled a ton offur!

kookookachoo

when you fix her new box...take the fur she hasalready pulled and put it in that depression that Pam told you to makeat the back of the nestbox.

Lanna

No not yet. I went to the store and gota box for the babies but nothing happened last night. When dothey usually have babies? I have not seen the mother in thebox lately, why? I checked again and I felt thebabies again and they are still the same size, so...... I dont know.

kookookachoo

Do you think that when I put the nesting box init was about 28-29 days and I probley have another day ortwo??? ARe they usualy in the nesting box a few days beforelabor?

kookookachoo

k im not trying to offend.................

but the things you are rushing around with now and askingquestions about are things that you should have maybe thought of beforeyou let a male and a female together have you ever heared theexpression reprducing like rabbits???

do you know what your going to do with them when they are old enough toget sell, to make sure they have good homes? i think you need to dosome research about rabbits and get one of your rabbits spayed ornuetered if you want them to be in the cage. im not tring to be harsh .i think that there are just to many uneducated people withrabbits.....

sara

Well I have actually done alot of research andgotten homes for the bunnies. I know everything I need toknow about the selling the rabbits. I also didnt know thatthe bunnies were going to be born now becuase the two had not beentogether in along time! So..... I would have done a whole lotmore research on this if I knew that she was pregnant but we wereplanning on breeding them in the spring! I think I do have ithandled enough to get through this.

kookookachoo

(This post written in a caring, sincerefashion)

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Sara...

It's one thing to sell the bunnies, but it's a whole other thingto be well prepared even before attempting to introduce 2 rabbitstogether. If proper research had been done prior (either fromthis board, books, or other websites), you would know the answers tomany of the questions you are asking now. You've stated thatyou weren't planning on breeding them until Spring - but did you, orhave you done enough research to know whether or not these two rabbitsshould be bred together? or what the proper care isforpregnant does, kindling does, nursing does, or weaningkits? All of this should have been taken into account fromthe moment you decided on breeding your rabbits, whether then or in thespring.

You stated you have homes set up for the bunnies... but HowMany? A rabbit can birth anywhere from 1 up to 12 dependingon the rabbit's breed, size, and heritage traits. (If mymemory serves correct, I've heard some commercial breeds can evenkindle up to 15). By heritage traits, I mean if that rabbit'smother, grandmother, etc. was known for delivering small or largelitters, chances are it is carried down the line to your doe.With my mini rex, my litters average 3-6 kits... but when I had arabbit back in grade school... she had a litter of 7 where her daughterwent on to have litters of 9 each breeding. Do you know whatyou're going to do with the others that you have not planned on homesfor?

Just some thoughts that go into being well prepared.

Going back to lurk mode,
~Sunshine

Hi, I read over your posts from the past and havenoticed that there have been a couple of times you thought your doe waspregnant...then you mention wanting to breed right awayagain...interesting! Maybe your doe is just experiencing a lotoffalse pregnancies since she housed next to a buck. Pambreeds holland lops and has stated before that winter breeding tends tobe unsuccessful alot of the time with a lot of still births or noviable pregnancy, maybe you should hold off breeding untill springtime. Remeber knowledge beforehand saves trouble afterward. Good luck!

Fergi's mom

hi thanks for the advice. I thoughtthat I was going to breed again in the spring and thats what I wasplanning on but somehow the doe got pregnant. Today the doehad 6 still bunnies. I came home today and the buck was inthe does cage again and the babies were not alive. I thinkthat thedoe is pregnant again but I am trying to figure outwhy and how the buck went to the other cage because they are seperated.

kookookachoo

kookookachoo221 wrote:
hi thanks for the advice. I thought that I wasgoing to breed again in the spring and thats what I was planning on butsomehow the doe got pregnant. Today the doe had 6 stillbunnies. I came home today and the buck was in the does cageagain and the babies were not alive. I think thatthedoe is pregnant again but I am trying to figure out whyand how the buck went to the other cage because they are seperated.

kookookachoo
The buck should have been seperated from the doe as soon as you thoughtshe was pregnant. Did you know this? Sorry just read what you put,nevermind, the buck got in by mistake right? I wonder how the Buckopened his and her cage?

It may be possible that the little oneswhere still born orthe buck may have attacked them. Are there any signs of attack? Is thisyour rabbits first litter? Where the babies scattered all over or werethey in the next box? I really think you should keep them seperated.

With all due respect, what Sara and Sunshine saiddoes seemright. I don't think you should be breeding them. Babies are lovely butI don't think your are experienced enough and know 100% what you aredoing. Fair enough you have found owners but would you know what to doif she wasn't feeding them? You have tobe prepared for anything that could happen in a pregnancy and whenthe doe hashad them. You have already lost a litter today. I don't thinkits worth possibly losing another. It's not fair on the kits or thedoe. Just giving my opinion here. I don't want to cause upset, I justsay what I see.

Vickie

Thanks for the advice. I was notplanning on breeding the bunnies but the guy got in there bymistake. It was her first litter and the doe was not smartenough to have the babies in the nesting box. If the doe ispregnant ,again, by mistake then my family and I have agreed that wewill be bringing the bunny in our house and seperating the buckcompletely from the doe. Right now the doe and buck are justseperated by some wire, and I think the buck is jumping over thetop. I will make sure to have this fixed.Thanks again for all the advice.

kookookachoo

Latest posts

Back