Pregnant bun? URGENT!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMind

Reaction score
(Dang it! My computer refreshed all the things I typed, so I'll make this short.)
I think my rabbit is pregnant. She is more aggressive than usual. She has been mounted several times when I wasn't looking (I'm stupid, I know.) It's really hot and her cage is dirty because her agressiveness won't let me take her out and I have been able to only clean her litterbox which was full of mushy poop, and I don't think thats healthy. I think she is nesting but I'm not sure. Yushi, the boy, is going to get neutered soon. I'm really thinking I should make a bed for her indoors just in case, but I don't know if she'll agree. Her feet are always wet, and I think it's pee. I really hope this is false pregnancy. She is eating and drinking well. She is about a year old. Should I take her to the vet? Ask me if you need to know more info. I think she is sick and preggy. I really hope not, or they all might not survive!

Mushy poop is not a great sign. Could be the heat. Id put her inside and watch her poop closely. Make our Ethernet male and female are separate ! Aggression is common for pregnant buns use gloves, long sleeves to move her. Or you could try to get her to hop into a box and move her that way. If her poop looks bad and she is eating, drinking and acting normally then a vet visit is needed. Signs of nesting would include during hay together in a corner, pulling hair out. If your uneasy then take her to the vet better safe than sorry

She is also always VERY eager to eat. And I should take her to the vet.
And could it be that the poo is melting? :biggrin: Just kidding, my other rabbit's poo is fine

You really have to clean things out, even if it means wearing gloves, long sleeves, heavy sox etc.

So she's outdoors now?

How far along might she be?

Yes, she is outdoors because my mother does not like for animals to live indoors, but is okay when I bring them in. I will wear everything I can to clean out her cage. I'm not sure how far she is since she has been mounted several times.

Unless you want a litter of rabbits every couple months, you should keep them apart until one or both are neutered. Rabbits can get pregnant again very quickly after giving birth.

Ive read that a rabbit could be pregnant with 2 separate litters at the same time, so you want to keep her away from your male.

Her feet being soaked in pee is bad. You have to do something to clean her cage. Put on long sleeves, wear some gloves and get brave.

Good luck!

I have cleaned her cage and am going to get the male neutered. Where do I touch to know if she is carrying babies? Is it near her genitals?

I have read you need to feel them very gently. I was just asking where to feel them, since the pages I read never say where. It's not that I don't know what I'm doing, it's that I'm confirming where they are.

If you don't know where, don't try to touch them, especially if the mom is as uncomfortable as you say she is. The stress could damage the babies. She is obviously ill, please bring her to the vet.

Also, why did you let them continue to interact after she was mounted one time? Did you want them to have babies? If it had just been the once, you could have gotten an espay and avoided this whole situation.

Keep us updated on what the vet says. I'm very concerned for her. She doesn't sound well at all.

I am calling the vet today. Also, I did not directly let them interact. I put a very secure barrier between them, but I have recently found out that the male can jump over it, so I made it taller. I did not think about spaying her, but I did think about neutering him, so he is going to be neutered soon. I chose neutering because I think it's better. I never planned on getting any other bunnies. I will keep you updated on another post.

just a quick tip, female rabbits are almost guaranteed to get ovarian cancer if they are not spayed, in the long run it will be much more expensive not to and also decrease her quality of life. good luck!!

You can research videos of how to palpate. You feel right above the hips in the abdomen and have to go really slow. I place does with their back feet on a table and let them rest their front feet on my hand or i hold them. I feel the abdomen with my right hand. Heat can definitely be the cause of loose stools. If its really hot outside i would move her inside if possible. If not you can put a fan on her and freeze liter bottles to give her. Watch her very closely though. It sounds like you got a chance to clean the cage so thats good. Mark on a calendar when you think the two might have gotten together. From the first time put a nestbox in her cage 28 days from the first day. And dont remove it until day 32-35 of the last time they were together. A shoe box would work if you cant get a nestbox. By day 28 she should start nesting and gathering hay in her mouth give or take depending on the doe. Most dont start pulling fur until the day before or the day of

It sounds like a vet visit would just stress her out more. Give her plenty of food and water and Good luck.

Thumperina wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:

with females the odds of cancer get really high my age 4.
but we should have couple of years without it, right?

I don't know what the odds are at ages under 4, but I wouldn't want to deal with 'only' a 20% chance, or 10%, considering the death rate from spaying is way less than this, like at most 1% for any decent vet surgeon. And I would think that many rabbits who died during surgery had something wrong with them that would have shortened their life anyway, a bad heart or whatever. Now, people breeding their rabbits have to wait, but otherwise I sure wouldn't. One of the reasons I got Honey from a shelter was so I didn't have to worry about spaying.

Latest posts

Back