Pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisslacie

Reaction score
Soo.. Our 5 month old female dwarf had the run of the bunny bedroom today. Our 3 month old lop was in his NIC cage. He broke through it (one of the pieces on the second level wasnt in tight enough?) and was with lacie all day.
When I went up there they were on seperate sides of the room.Then lacie kept trying to mount reese and hes pretty passive so he just laid there and took it from her.
What are the chances that she is pregnant? lol Im guessing pretty high but do you think a female bunny as dominant as Lacie would let laid back Reese mount her? I cant even see Reese doing that.. hes so mellow and lazy :p.
If she is, is there something we should do? We wanted to wait until 6 months to spay her, but should we be taking her in now? We also wanted to take Reese in at 4 months, is this too soon?
thanks in advance!
--Lyss, Laccie & Reese

I know a lot of people say that rabbits will breed like rabbits, but as many breeders will tell you trying to get two rabbits to go at it can be a very hard practice.

She might be pregnant, she might not!

If you're really worried about her a emergency spay may be in order. It will also increase her lifespan in general!

As she is 5 months and he is 4 months, there is a chance that both are a bit young to breed. If his testicles haven't descended yet, I doubt that he would be able to get her pregnant. It is still possible that she is pregnant though.
I think that you can get her spayed now. It would be aborting the litter, but in the long run would be better for her. It should be safe to get her spayed now, if she is otherwise healthy. You could wait and see, but you may end up with a litter of kits and would have to wait longer to get her done.

I would get her spayed as soon as you can.

If it were me, I would consult a vet and look into booking a spay ASAP. She's a smaller breed, so generally they mature quicker, so at 5 months, she should be fine for a spay. Better for her rather than going through a stressfull pregnancy.

Does seem odd she would be the one doing the mounting.. I would maybe double check their genders just to make sure! If he is male, his instincts would have kicked in to breed.. so if he's mature enough, I'm sure he 'did the deed'! Bunnies can be tricky! Like Kate said, if his testicles have dropped, he's fine to be neutered.

I'd also check both for injuries incase they got into a tussle.. I've had a few cases that one of my guys have gotten out and gotten into major trouble with someone else.. but they're all fixed, so just had to worry about bites! Happens to everyone! :)

We brought him in about a month ago and only one had dropped so maybe the other still hasnt. He doesnt act like he wants to breed AT ALL. lol
I checked both of them over, however they get along really well. They used to be bonded before we realize Reese was a male, and had to seperate them. Now they lay beside eachother with the NIC cage in the middle of them haha.
Either way, we have her spay booked for next week :) Thanks guys!

Good luck for the spay :)

When I mated Sky (the buck) and Sandy, he went crazy humping her, and then when he was done, she went at it on him, so it is possible she is pregnant, and he 'did this thing' and then she sort of 'joined in' if you like.

The fact she is booked for a spay is a good thing though.

I hope all goes well next week.

The foster rabbit that I had was only 3-4 months when she was spayed, if I remember correctly. The facility that we rescued her from had her sexed incorrectly, and she was housed with her brothers for over a month. Being that they can breed that young, we had her booked for a spay. The vet did not feel any young ones when she was palpated, but it was better to err on the side of caution. She was not pregnant, in the end, but we were still so happy that the spay was done and that we didn't have to worry about the pitter-patter of lots of baby bunny feets.

The main point of my post was that 5 months is probably OK to get a little girlie spayed. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back