Pregger Doe Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introoder

Reaction score
So. I'm making the breeding cages for my does. I have two breeding does, whom will be switching off 'working' shifts. I need a double hutch for this. I'll explain in a second.

cage.png

(18 inches width, btw)
So...
Yeah. With the proper breaks in between, they'll be constantly working. I'm making this hutch for that purpose.

The hutch is six feet total. Split in the middle, with a piece of wood, will give each doe nearly 7 square feet. When the litters are weaned, and sexes to be separated, there will be a panal put between them, giving each sex 3.5 feet to themselves.

The babies I plan to sell will stay in these cages, and will be transported to the next show, priced to sell. Babies I plan on keeping, will be bought a cage, and moved indoors to my rabbit room. (This hutch has to be kept outside, due to size.)

So. Does this sound reasonable? What changes need to be made?

Personally, I think wood is better:)

I have heard of babies legs being cut off and caught in the wire, so maybe you should use wood;)

i am not great on measurements so maybe someone else could help you with that :)

nicolevins wrote:
Personally, I think wood is better:)

I have heard of babies legs being cut off and caught in the wire, so maybe you should use wood;)
I HIGHLY recommend wire. Since wood is a porous material, it can hold bacteria easily. Not to mention rot or mold over time. Especially with rabbits that aren't litter trained (does and their babies), a solid wood floor would be a mess.

Babies' legs do not get caught or cut off on the wire. They live in their nestbox for the first few weeks of their life and when they first enter the "outside world", you can stuff the cage with hay or straw that they can rest in to get off the wire, if they wish. Wire is much easier to clean and keep cleaned, so this is what I use and would always use when breeding.:)

Back