Prefer breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit_lady13

Reaction score
Does anyone have a preference in breed of rabbit? I'm debating on my next bun and I want to make sure I get the perfect one for me.

I'm guessing everyone has a preference! I've had rexes for the last 20 years. IMHO they have the softest fur, sort of velveteen rabbit-y. I have to admit a fondness for Holland Lops also, though I've never had one. Wish I could get a rex with that coat and flopsy ears. :)
Size is the first decision. Obviously the bigger ones have more...input and output. :)

I don't have a lot of ideas on temperament of different breeds, maybe someone else can jump in on that.

Flemish Giant if you are a "bigger is better" type of person and want a "free roam" bunny.

I have never had Dutch rabbits for myself, but I have known people with wonderful Dutch rabbits, and my dad had a mini Dutch growing up. I was thinking about getting a mini Dutch because of that. Here is this little bunny's story.

Her name was Summer, and she was apparently absolutely amazing. They never trained her, but she knew her name and came when called. They would leave her outside in their fenced in backyard, and she wouldn't leave it. She would come running up the porch and sit by the back door when she was called. Summer adored her family. She liked to swim, and look regular dips in the pool. She LOVED people and got along just fine with other animals. She lived for over 10 or 12 years, until she came to an unfortunate passing in a sort of freak accident type of way. She was perfectly healthy and perky, so who knows how long she could have lived!

My dad was really pushing towards Dutch, and he doesn't really like having/owning animals, so for him to love something that much (and push for it to be in our home) it must have been great. Of course, you absolutely need to get a type of rabbit based on your life style. Keep that in mind!!! 😊

I love lionheads but that is all we own. However I love all rabbits and if we could we would get a lop but we are at our limit on rabbits for now. We have a 1 year old female, and 2 males that are probably 9 or 10 months old and then have 4 babies that are 12 days old. They were a bit of a surprise but we are enjoying watching them grow every day.

I have two lion head cross bunnies now. And one Holland lop mix. My two lion head are not nearly as friendly as my Holland lop mix.

I have two lion head cross bunnies now. And one Holland lop mix. My two lion head are not nearly as friendly as my Holland lop mix.

I will admit one of our males isn't all too friendly or well doesn't like to be held and likes to nibble but he does come to us for attention and to be pet. Our female stayed really nice even while pregnant, the only thing different was she quit giving us kisses and no sooner she had the babies she started giving us kisses again. Our other male is really sweet too. Husband would love to get a lop but I told him not until we get a bigger place, lol.

Latest posts

Back