Precious and Otter :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this in the Infirmary to see if our Infirmary Mods could comment.

momofmany wrote:
It has been a week now, and I haven't been able to bring myself here to finally post this. It is with a very heavy and broken heart that I announce two of our bunnies have died. I am still shocked, grief-stricken, depressed, dumbfounded, clueless and even a bit angry. It just doesn't seem fair--both were only a week shy of 4 months old and we didn't even have them for 2 full months. :bigtears:

On Wednesday 2/6, in the morning around 10:30am, we found Otter dead, laying on the bottom of her cage. :( I reached in to pet her, and I was shocked to feel how stiff she was! I was not prepared to feel that. :( I have absolutely NO idea what happened! I honestly saw her just about an hour or so earlier and she was sitting on the ledge in her cage with Precious and Vinny and she appeared completely normal.

Then, 4 days later, upon waking up, my daughter found Precious dead, also laying on the bottom of her cage. :( She was almost in the same exact spot we had found Otter in. I was in denial--so completely stunned and numbed. I knelt down and began petting Precious. She was not completely stiff, and felt somewhat warm. I wanted her to wake up in the worst way, but she didn't.

These two bunnies were my son's and daughter's pets, but as the "grandmom" to the buns, I was also attached to them and loved them and miss them horribly! My heart is still so incredibly sad from their absence. :bigtears:

If you don't mind, I'm going to type what had taken place during the time prior to these two deaths. I will warn you that it is LONG. If anyone can shed some light or thoughts after reading this, I'd be so grateful. I realize that we'll never, ever know "for sure" what caused their deaths, but I'd welcome any insight. I also pray that whatever took these 2 buns lives away won't take the lives of our other bunnies as well. If this thread is the wrong place for me to do this in, please advise as to where I should post it then, thank you.

About one month ago we took Otter to the vets because she had always had a very minor head tilt on the opposite side of her half an ear. The breeder told us she was born that way and that the ear canal was closed and she was deaf. She was given to us for free because of this defect. (We purchased Precious from the breeder and brought home Otter and Vinny for free because of their "defects" as told to us by the breeder.) I didn't know if this minor tilt was because of the ear problem or not, but I took her into the vets to be checked. The vet told me she could not see any infection in her ear but she suspected that Otter may have been exposed to the Pasturella virus at some point before coming to us, so she put her on a long-term antibiotic. I'm not 100% of the name, but I *think* it was a Sulfa medication. Otter tolerated this medicine well.

Then about 3 weeks later, I noticed she seemed to often have a poopy butt and from reading this forum it occurred to me that I should look at her teeth. I discovered her bottom jaw was longer than her top jaw, so off we went again to the vets. Just to add, she has always been eating normally...she ate her pellets, her hay, some veggies, etc. The vet said she had malocclusion and they gave her anesthesia and used a dremel to file her teeth. She seemed to do well after this procedure. Again, she was eating and drinking just fine.

Mysteriously, about 5 days later, we found Otter dead. She never had any congestion, coughing, sneezing, runny eyes or nose, nothing. The ONLY thing I noticed about 2 days prior to her death was during her play time she seemed quiet and didn't want to "venture" out to play. She continued to groom and be groomed with the other bunnies as well as eat and drink.

Now, 2 days after Otter died, I had noticed that Precious seemed to not be using her hind left leg properly. She was not dragging it, it was not limp or hanging. It is hard to describe, but it was like she just kept it close to her body as she hopped so I wondered if she had injured it somehow? She seemed to be hopping using her hind right leg, but just not the left. She also seemed a bit "reserved" or a bit tired, and I thought it could have been because her cagemate died 2 days earlier. I took her right to the vets and they felt her leg for quite awhile, but did not do x-rays. They said they could not feel a fracture/break at all and perhaps she had twisted it or sprained it somehow. They asked if she was eating and drinking, and we answered yes, because she was. We mentioned she seemed a little "down" but contributed it to Otter's death. They gave her a dose of Meticam and sent us home with enough for 4 or 5 more days. That was in the early afternoon. By evening, she seemed to be a bit more "Perky" and we noticed she and Vinny were inseparable as they groomed each other continuously and then snuggled with each other.

She continued to do well. She was not nearly as active as she normally was, and we thought it was because her leg may be sore. She was still eating, drinking, and grooming herself and Vinny. Everything seemed fine, until Sunday morning when we found her dead. Again, she did not have any sneezing, coughing, runny nose or eyes, nothing! She was perfect!

Just to avoid further confusion, I want to mention that about a week or so before Otter died, Vinny (our neutered male holland lop bunny who until this time lived in his own cage) began taking turns staying in the girls' cage and his own cage. They had been smelling each other during play time through the cage bars for the past month or so. And before this week, they were successfully introduced to each other in neutral territory without any fighting, grunting, boxing, biting, etc. There was minimal mounting by both the girls and Vinny, but they seemed to work that out in just a day and a half. The 3 of them were wonderful together. They were a little family and they ate, drank, groomed, and snuggled together.

We fed our bunnies Timothy hay (24/7--unlimited), pellets, and fresh water continuously. Also there were small amounts of Romaine lettuce, baby carrots, parsley, minimal broccoli, and apples. Occasional treats of dried banana and cranberry and commercial Yogurt drop treats.

Vinny is doing fine...seems normal but quiet and I assume it is because he misses the "company" of the 2 girl bunnies. I don't know whether their deaths had anything to do with any "breeding" issues or not. This was the first bunny I've ever purchased from a breeder. I don't know whether Otter had a disease and it was contagious and Precious caught it? I'm far from an expert, but I know bunnies hide their illnesses or injuries very well. I also knew to observe their actions to confirm they were eating, drinking, and pooing...and they WERE! I took them to the vets--both of them at the first sign of a problem. Our vet is not a "bunny expert" vet, but they were the ones who neutered Vinny and seemed knowledgeable and confident in treating our bunnies, as well as others.

I may never know what caused Otter's and Precious' deaths, but I will forever miss them terribly. :bigtears: Even though they weren't mine per say (they were my children's pets), I'm still crying over them not being here and because my daughter "hand picked" Precious from all the other baby bunnies, she was the MOST SPECIAL, MOST PERFECT bunny. She loved my daughter and was always with her. She was loved by us all. They were both loved by us all.

Thank you to anyone who may have read this to the end. I really am grateful for the knowledge and support of everyone here at the forum.
preciousondad.jpg

otterondad.jpg

Very interesting....and very sad. I see several things that caught my attention. I only have a minute right now so I will try to post something later. I would like to know more info on the food and hay....brand, where it came from, when it was first used, etc. I have rabbits blowing up like balloons with bloat right now. Do you think she would mind going into more details if we asked? I know it might be difficult for her. I remember when she brought them home.

Randy

It's impossible to say without having necropsy results. Both of them had exhibited health problems, but it's impossible to say if both suffered from the same ailment - just manifesting itself with different symptoms.

Could have been anything from cancer to heart attack or anything in between. Or totally unrelated health problems making them both susceptible to viral infections. We just don't have enough information to even begin to speculate.

Were the rabbits from the same breeder and were they related in any way? How old were they? What country are they from?

Pam

Latest posts

Back