Prayers requested for Zeus - dental/abscess surgery on Wednesday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I gave him his meds tonight - I looked at the sutures a bit.

It looks like there's pus there....he may have to have it repacked and sutured....which probably means being put under anesthesia again I'm guessing...

:(

I am sorry I'm so late in responding - we got home about 2:30 pm but were both exhausted and we crashed.

There was a tiny bit of pus in there but that was to be expected. They repacked the site (and she said that probably over 1/2 of it had scarred up like she wanted) and stapled it shut. On Monday we're to remove the staple, remove the packing and then start putting honey in it/on it twice a day until it heals completely.

I was shocked to find out that she removed almost ONE CUP of pus from the abscess because it had been so deep inside.

Zeus was funny - Robin went to put him in the carrier this morning and he hopped out of her arms and ran across the bed.

We tried to get him out of the carrier at the vet and he put his heels down and we had to drag him out cause he was trying to be dead weight.

The doctor gets done with Zeus and Art puts his carrier on the table...and he just walks into the carrier as if "I know I'll go home now" - no fighting, etc.

She was very pleased to see how alert he was and that he was looking great and even fighting.

She said there "could" be abscesses inside on his organs, etc. and that if they were to burst - things could go toxic and we could lose him.

BUT...she felt that there probably weren't abscesses inside - she felt like we caught it really early.

She also said that it looked like pasturella (is that the term - I'm brain-dead) - the "normal" infection that bunnies get. She felt like once this healed up - he should do great.

Now for the really great news - they didn't charge us ANYTHING for the visit even though it probably took close to 20 minutes or so for her to examine him and pack it.

She said to just consider it a normal follow-up to his surgery.

I am going to make a thank-you gift for her and her assistant who worked on him. I'm going to take a couple of pictures of Zeus (one is a butt photo of him) and put them on a mug with "Thank you Dr. Colvin" and "Thank you Anna" on each mug...and then put together some hot chocolate mixes and teas and stuff like that and mail it to them with a "I hate you note - but mom says I gotta stop being a brat and say 'thank you'" note inside from Zeus and then mail it to them.

So glad to see you have such an awesome vet! Glad to see that things are looking up for you, I know from Peace how stressful the entire process can be.

So glad that things are staying positive. Sure the vet will get a kick out of the mugs. Benjamin hates the vet too, try and drag 15plus pounds out of a carrier. Good sign when he is so frisky.

That's great news, Peg. And what an awesome doctor. It's nice to know that such wonderful and caring doctors exist and don't mind passing up on a few dollars to help people out. ^.^

:jumpforjoy:

Holy guacamole, that was quite the infection! I've heard that abcesses can get huge extremely quickly...sounds like you and Art have a really great vet there Peg! I imagine Zeus must have started feeling better once the surgery was over and all of the pus was removed.

He certainly is well-named, after a warrior (and a romantic ;))! May Zeus connect with his inner warrior so his body heals completely. Prayers and love are going out his way....

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: :hearts :hearts :hearts :hearts :hearts :hearts

Let me tell you - when its time to give him meds - he's definitely connected with his inner warrior.....

After our Penny had her abscess removed, it had to be scraped out, but even though they removed most of it and she was on PenG, some puss would still seep through the cut. What worked was an antibiotic bead that was placed under skin. Just wanted to share that as an option.

The feeling better and strength returning is always a blessing and a curse. I hope he isn't too much trouble to get his meds.

Yeah Zeus! So glad you are feeling better! :)

Latest posts

Back