Prayers Needed for Vinny--In Surgery Right Now!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momofmany

Reaction score
I felt a lump in Vinny's neck--left side not awfully close to his jaw---about the size of a large marble.

I just ran him into the vets and they tried to aspirate it and they couldn't get much of anything out, just some yellow/white puss that was thick---about the consistency of cream cheese.

They said they recommend surgery to remove it and the tissue surrounding it and will put him on antibiotics for about 2 weeks or so.

I am going to do a search on this forum right now for abscesses.

This is so incredibly frustrating! Vinny hasn't been too much of himself since Precious & Otter died, but I thought he was getting better. Then all of a sudden, he became cranky and aggressive whenever we put our hand inside his cage to pet him or fill his food dish or clean his cage. He didn't really do that before. Could this behavior be related to this abscess at all?

The vet said this probably has something to do with the same Pasturella virus she assumed that Otter came in contact from at the breeders before we took her home. I tell you, this whole thing with Otter being sick and then Precious & Otter dying and now this with Vinny makes me somewhat suspicious of this particular breeder. Do you think my suspiciousness is warranted?

I'm really glad we have kept our 2 newer bunnies (Poodle & Prince) in a separate room away from Vinny and vice versa!

Goodness, I just hope Vinny will be alright. Please pray for Vinny, thank you.

Anytime we are sick we get cranky - so yes I could see this being related to his mood.

I'll be thinking of him and praying for him.

Abscesses do get that gunk in them.... pus from rabbits is like that - thick, yucky.

I think surgery is probably a good option cause they are hard to drain from what I have heard.

I'm sure that Vinny will be alright, an encapsulated abscess removal surgery is not dangerous if performed by an experienced vet. I understand how frustrated you feel, one can't help it. Please let us know how it went when he wakes up from anaesthesia.

Good luck to Vinny from Vitto and me!:hearts

Marietta

Sending tons of :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: your way!

[align=left]poor vinny! i would be worried about that breeder. but as marietta said, it sounds like an abscess, and since you've caught it and he's getting treated, he should do well. prayers for you all. :pray:[/align]

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I just talked with the vet and she said Vinny did well tolerating the anesthesia and they were able to remove the enitre abscess in one piece!!!

She said he will not have to spend the night there, so I can go pick him up in a couple of hours. She'll fill me in on the antibiotics & what I'll need to do when I pick him up.

I'm so grateful to hear he did well during surgery and that the abscess was fairly easy to remove---praise God!!! :)

I forgot to say my husband is stopping on his way home and buying some Oat Hay & Orchard Grass so I can offer him that in addition to Timothy hay. Both of these should be good right? I searched them on this forum and see others use them as well.

I'm so glad Vinny did well in the surgery and they removed the abscess in one piece! How do they do that exacty? Is the abscess encased in a little sack or something? Hopefully this will be the end of his troubles, I would have been worried too.

Sending healing vibes to your boy!

I'm glad Vinny did okay.

Our Binky had an abcess surgically removed from her dewlap and has been fine ever since.

Oat Hay & Orchard Grass are good for the buns!!

He might not be too hungry right off. Post back if you experience this and there's lots of tips we can give you.

Do you have some Nutri-Cal? If not, have hubby pick some up with the hay.

JimD wrote:
Oat Hay & Orchard Grass are good for the buns!!

He might not be too hungry right off. Post back if you experience this and there's lots of tips we can give you.

Do you have some Nutri-Cal? If not, have hubby pick some up with the hay.
Great! Thank you very much!!!

Is it just plain Nutri-Cal? Is it made especially for rabbits or all animals? I'm going to call the store right now & ask if they have any.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Did they check his teeth to make sure they weren't the cause of the abscess?
I forgot to ask that question and could have kicked myself because as soon as I hung up, I thought of it! :foreheadsmack:

I have that on my list of questions to ask when I pick him up.

OK, I just called our local feed store and they do have a tube of Nutri-Cal---again, does it have to be especially made for rabbits or no? Will this tube be ok?

Also, they said they have what is called Rabbit Probiotics and on the label it says GI Conditioner--do I need to buy that as well? I know my vet is going to put him on antibiotics, at least that is what they said earlier.

Any advice would be MOST appreciated! Thank you!:thanks:

If the nutrical is the cat mint flavor I think it's ok - but don't get the dog beef or the cat beef or whatever meat flavors.

I don't know much about the probiotics

I use the dog/cat Nutri Cal.

It doesn't need to be mint flavored (remember that rabbits are animals that will eat bacon, dog food, placentas, their own kits and even stinky cecals - and many of mine scarf down the fish oil smelly Nutri Cal).

Pam

True. I should say that MY bunny thought I was crazy but he hates mint also.

I guess it doesn't matter..... I just smoosh some on their leg.

Well, Vinny is home! :D

He is doing wonderful! He has been eating his Timothy hay, Orchard grass, & Oat hay, his pellets, some watery pumpkin, and a small slice of orange. He's been pooping fairly well too. :)

The vet said the abscess was encapsulized (sp?) which was a blessing since it was much easier for them to remove.

She also said she looked over Vinny's teeth and they all seem fine, so she doesn't suspect it was from his teeth. It was also lower from his jaw in his neck, so I'm no expert, but it seemed kind of far away to be teeth related.

She feels with Precious' & Otter's history, since Vinny came from the same breeder, that it was all related to Pasturella. She said it can remain dormant in a bunny's system and be without symptoms, however, if something changes or happens, their immune system could be affected and something could change, for example the abscess. I think that would make sense--maybe it was Vinny's sadness due to Precious' & Otter's passing that brought this on?

She sent me home with Metacam for a few days and Baytril for 2 weeks. Vinny has to go back in 2 weeks to have the 3 stitches removed.

Does this sound right to everyone?

Thank you so much for all of the help & support.

Oh good! I'm glad he's doing well!

encapsulated means it's contained in its own area by some type of casing (tissue) - nothing else has been touched by it and they can pretty easily "pluck" it out like a seed or something.

Excellent!

Vinny seems like he had a good night! :) I checked the dish of watery pumpkin I gave him last night and this morning it was completely empty! He has also eaten some of his pellets and his hay.

He seems fairly alert and wanted to come out of his cage. He was still a bit cranky though because when I reached in to get the empty dish he lunged at me and grunted again---I hope that will stop sometime soon!!! I really don't like that at all--it worrys me.:(

I'm am glad to hear Vinny did well and is back at home with you!

Hope thinks keep looking up!

Latest posts

Back