Potty Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikki8jean

Reaction score
I am picking up the baby holland lop tomorrow and I want to start potty training him. How do I do it? I bought a litter box that I'm pretty sure he can hop into (i got one with a low edge). The only litter/bedding my pet store had was the hard pellet type, the soft colored kind or wood shavings...I remember reading not to use cedar so I didn't get the wood, I wasn't sure about the pellets, and the colored soft kind didn't seem right either. Here are my questions..
1. What is the best litter to get?
2. How do I litter train the little guy?
3. Is there anything different about litter training a boy vs. a girl?

Not sure about litter. I use only Oxbow Eco- Straw.

When litter box training, do NOTuse bedding in the cage. Put cardboard or nothing down. When they pee outside the box soak it up with a paper towel and put it in the litter box. Same with poo. pick up and put in box.

Later on you may need a high back litter box. With high sides cause they flip litter or may pee outside it as they get bigger. I use all high backs. No difference between male and female, I don't think.

Hope this helps :) April

what I did was put my lops food in his box. He didn't want to go in there at first but once his food was in there he would go in. As he eats he would go poop so he'd poop in the box. He instinctively went pee in that corner anyways so he started peeing back in the box a couple days after I put it in. If he peed outside his box I would take the soaked bedding (he is raised up out of the bedding) and put it in his litter box.

Now he's had his litterbox for about a week and while he always pees in his box he is not consistant with pooping. I was most concerned with him peeing in the box though. Funny thing is outside his cage he doesn't pee or barely poop at all. I leave his litter box out too for him and I never sweep up any stray bunny droppings.

I'm not sure about differences with the sexes but mine isa boy rabbit. If they are not spayed or neutered than I heard once they reach sexual maturity their box habits aren't as good though.

Putting hay in their litter boxes is good too. But I wouldn't recommend putting their food bowl.

With little babies, I used to hang their pellet feeder in a place so that they could only reach it when they where in the litter box. Once they got the hang of the litter box, the feeder could be moved.

Lots of hay in the litter box, so that they will sit in the litter box and munch on hay is a good thing.

As mentioned, anytime they make an accident outside of the litter box, just soak it up with tissue/paper-towel and put in the litter box. I also find that cleaning the cage and where they make accidents with a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture helps to eliminate the pee smell from the rest of the cage so that only the litter box smells like pee.

If they are continually peeing in a different corner, then you can try moving your litter box there. Sometimes bunnies have a preference as to which corner their bathroom should go in.

The litter I use is a compressed wood pellet. It is safe because all the wood is heated and kiln dried before being pressed into pellets. It is very absorbent, and controls odours very well. You can normally find this type of litter at a feed store, but as a horse stall bedding.

--Dawn

I use Feline Pine I love it, it starts off as pellets then when it gets wet it dissolves in to a sawdust like texture and all natural. I get mine at Target and Walmart

Feline Pine is just one brand of compressed wood pellets. There are many brands, including wood stove pellets (make sure they have no acceleration in them), and horse stall bedding. It's just a matter of finding a store that carries it near you. Often times the horse stall bedding or the wood stove pellets are cheaper than the Feline Pine, but you should shop around and see what is cheapest in your area.

--Dawn

my rabbit is definitely NOT toilet trained she poops everywhere. BTW do u know how 2 toilet train a bun dat is 10 weeks old.

bunnyqueen101

bunnyqueen101 wrote:
my rabbit is definitely NOT toilet trained she poops everywhere. BTW do u know how 2 toilet train a bun dat is 10 weeks old.

bunnyqueen101

When litter box training, do NOTuse bedding in the cage. Put cardboard or nothing down. When they pee outside the box soak it up with a paper towel and put it in the litter box. Same with poo. pick up and put in box.

Later on you may need a high back litter box. With high sides cause they flip litter or may pee outside it as they get bigger. I use all high backs.

Hope this helps :) April

Putting hay in their litter boxes is good too.

I use Recycled newspaper kitty litter (i think in the USA its called Yesterdays News). Its non toxic and my bunnies like burrowing in it.

I just got my Netherland Dwarf 4 days ago (He's 8 weeks old), and i plan on just putting his poop and the litter that he's peed on into the box (he's chosen the top left corner to concentrate all his pee) and i assume when i put that peed on litter into the tray he'll keep going to the litter box, even when outside of the cage. I know he'll have accidents (like when he peed on my bed this morning! but thats to be expected from young bunnies!).

Thats what my mini lop did!

Latest posts

Back