potty training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy355

Reaction score
Me again with another question. From what I read most of your buns are litter box trained. What is the best way to go about this. Lily was getting into her food bowl and peeing & pooping right there..yuck! I have given her a much smaller bowl now. Presently I am using aspen bedding in her cage, but would like to have a potty area, and a clean area for sleep play, ect in her cage. I have had her for a week now, and My husband laughs because when she is out for her free run time, she uses the papers.

Ooops..sorry mom, not litter box trained yet :sweep

100_2269.jpg

Hello :)
Littertraining buns is pretty simple, in my opinion. Just takes some patience.
First of all, if you have aspen bedding covering the entire floor of the cage, I would use fleece, towels, or grass mats to cover the floor. Then, find the area that she prefers to go. If it happens to be where the food bowl is, then move them. Trust me, if she is determined to use that spot as a litterbox, just go with it. They can be very determined! :) Then, put the box in that place and fill with aspen. Put a piece of tissue soaked in urine and some poos right in... and she should figure it out awfully fast. You can always catch her in the act and place her in her box, too.
Of course, it will be easier when she is spayed, if she isn't already.
Good luck!

She is not spayed yet, but it is on the list of things to do. I was told if I put her food dish in the litter box she would learn that way, but I don't really want her eating in her toilet.

In my experience, buns tend to like eating their pellets away from their litterbox, but they enjoy eating their hay simultaneously as they go to the bathroom. I would hang her hayrack (if she has one) right next to the litterbox, and put some hay in the box, too. I know it sounds gross, but she won't eat the soiled hay.

i will be getting a hay rack this weekend. Should I only keep the aspen in the litterbox, or can it also be in cage. Will this confuse her? I know she likes laying on a fluffy chair cushion i have on the kitchen floor, so i was thinking of getting her own pet bed. Its much more comfy than the chips i would think.

Latest posts

Back