Potty Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
Id love to start potty training our little one and have a few questions.

1. is it hard getting them potty trained. ?

2. what is the easiest way to do this. ?

3.does age matter. ?

THANKS. !:bunnydance:

Nope, not too difficult. Just find out where they like to go to the bathroom and put a litterbox there with a bit of poop and pee. If they poop or pee outside the litterbox, put the poop back and soak up the pee with a papertowel and put the papertowel in the litterbox. For me, I just put a litterbox where she peed then if she had an accident ouside it I'd put the pee soaked newspaper at the bottem of the litterbox and put a few sheets of newspaper overtop. They usually teach themselves, you just have to make the litterbox their scent :).

Hey Denise!

Litter training isnt too difficult. To add to Spring's suggestions, one thing I do is to put some hay in one corner of the litter box. This encourages them to go in there (dont worry, they wont eat any soiled hay). Its a little incentive.

Cat litter boxes work great bc they come in all sizes and usually have high enough sides (some of the rabbit ones are too small). I use Yesterdays News cat litter and Woody Pet litter...both work great!

Good Luck!

-Haley

Litter training is quite easy but it depends on the rabbit. My two adult rabbits were easy to litter train, I just put a liltter box where they always went to the loo and nowthey use it every time! However, young, unspayed/unneutered rabbits are harder to litter train. I'm bunny-sitting 2 young unspayedgirls who poop and pee eveywhere!

Here are a few links on litter training that might help :D

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

http://britishgiantrabbits.co.uk/32117.html

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/housetrain.htm

thanks everyone for the help. ! i really think she is a smart lil cookie. ! we let her free roam only the front room when our iguana is in her cage and she is the cutest thing.... when she wants a little snooze shell come push her nose into our cupped hands and just fall asleep or when she gets tired of socializing she just hops all the way back into my daughters room where her cage is at and goes right inside. I only recall my sister having rabbits when I was young, but they were outside only, so this is all new to me. Im reading up like crazy, but if anyone has any really great tips theyd be much appreciated.!

cant get over how cute everyone rabbit pics are either on here. ! :apollo:

Ok. gosh.... question. since Lolly is little and will be potty trained in her cage, later if she masters this area of doing her business, can it later be moved to another area of the house like the bathroom or do you need to keep the same spot for them.?

and.....

does everyone just use one box for them or possibly one in their cage and one out. ?

I have two litter boxes for Oswald; one for inside his cage and one for outside.

It's an excellent ideal to set up your rabbit's food dishes and hay rack so they can ONLY be reached from the litter box. A lot of rabbits like to eat while they do their business and food placement definitely helps with litter training.

-Amy

Back