Potty Basket

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
I bought two litter pans & yesterday news along with some pee pads as back up when we brought Sloane home.
Also a willow basket to hang out & chew if she wanted.

I kept the basket on a pad with hay in it.
She took right away to it. I was glad for the pee pad as she peed in there. Over and over.
She hasn't really used the litter pans. Even ignores the hay in them mostly.

So I've taken to putting the basket in the pan.
She seems to only be peeing and pooping in this basket.

I'm wondering how can I maintain it.
Keep it.... healthy for her so the basket doesn't get nasty.
The other day when she didn't really go potty, that basket wasn't in her pen overnight.
I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.
Could she really be getting that picky?

I'm not complaining, she's being rather neat on the whole. I just want her going potty and her home clean.

If the basket is untreated wood, it will get nasty eventually because wetness rots wood and you can't really get pee out of it anyway. Here's what I'd do:

Let her use the basket for now. Line it with a big pee pad and scoop in some litter on top so it lasts longer. Keep the basket in the same place for 2-3 weeks until she gets used to peeing in that particular spot. Then one day, when you're sure she ONLY pees there, sneakily swap it out for a litter pan, lined with the same type of pee pad and litter, in the same spot. Hopefully she'll have gotten so used to peeing there that she won't mind that the basket's turned into a plastic pan.

If the basket is untreated wood, it will get nasty eventually because wetness rots wood and you can't really get pee out of it anyway. Here's what I'd do:

Let her use the basket for now. Line it with a big pee pad and scoop in some litter on top so it lasts longer. Keep the basket in the same place for 2-3 weeks until she gets used to peeing in that particular spot. Then one day, when you're sure she ONLY pees there, sneakily swap it out for a litter pan, lined with the same type of pee pad and litter, in the same spot. Hopefully she'll have gotten so used to peeing there that she won't mind that the basket's turned into a plastic pan.

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to try that.
I did already put some litter in the top of it to try to catch some of it.
I worried about the pad because it's plastic and all.
Trying to come up with incentives for her for the other pans but yeah, lol, she likes peeing & pooping in that basket.

She may like that basket because it's small and makes her feel safe in it. Baby bunnies especially seem to like little snuggly spaces. I like Laura's idea. If you are worried about a pee pad being chewed on, you could try and find some sort of shallow plastic container that would fit in the bottom, then put the litter in. If that doesn't work, you could keep putting it in her litter box, with a plastic liner and litter in the basket as well, then eventually she may just get the hint and use the litter box at some point.

She may just grow out of using it too, once she's bigger.

Latest posts

Back