Pothos starters were eaten 😶

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Luvbun

Reaction score
Help please!
Help ease my anxiety 🙁 and educate me 🤦‍♀️ me if you would.
One of my bunny's ate 2 or 3 stems of pothos with (1-3 leaves in each) last night. I have taken a photo of the size and my bun in question.

What should I look for through the day, in case she has a reaction?

She does have a husbun she shares her life and spaces with, so watching poops is a bit hard deciding who's are who's sometimes, but I can tell whenever she's having a pee.
So far her appetite has been good, as has her personality and activity and I have been up with her for the past 4 hrs.
Thanks all who reply.
No answer goes unappreciated 🥰

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_075016025.jpg
    IMG_20231007_075016025.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
From what I've read pothos is somewhat toxic to rabbits, the main symptoms being gastrointestinal.
Maybe call your vet for advice?
Hope bunbun is OK 🤞😊
Ty☺️, so far so good and Ive been awake with them for 8hrs now.

Of course I'd be taking her to the vet if she begins to show change in her everyday routine, attitude and such.
However, I had hoped to get some advice here on what to watch for (besides change in behaviour and routine) throughout the day/eve.
I'm thinking since it's been 8+ hrs now, she's most likely alright, but I do have critical care on standby should she stop eating.
Unfortunately, It is nap time and so she'll be resting for the next 4 ish hrs 🤷‍♀️ and will be hard to determine if she's doing alright or not (besides possible change in breathing becoming laboured)

Sounds like she may be doing just fine. I'd encourage her to eat as much hay as possible. Hay can push things through the gut. It also makes them thirsty. Drinking lots of water is good and also flushes things through. So keep adding fresh hay throughout the day to encourage more hay eating.

Signs to look out for: irritation to the mouth, pawing at the mouth, drooling, difficulty swallowing/eating, possibly difficulty breathing if the throat is swollen enough, lack of appetite, lethargy. The aspca listing says it only causes contact irritation and doesn't have toxins that are absorbed. If you aren't seeing any of those signs of mouth/throat irritation or other abnormal symptoms at this point, it sounds like your rabbit may be ok. Though if in doubt, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://www.aspca.org/news/top-10-toxic-plants-pets-what-look-out
  1. Peace lilies may add a modern flare to your flowerpot, but they are unfortunately toxic to our pets. Luckily, it is unlikely for signs to be severe. Peace lilies contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause stomach upset, drooling and mouth pain. But, since they are not absorbed systemically, they don’t cause organ damage.
  2. Devil’s Ivy or pothos have the same toxic concerns as Peace lilies, meaning the signs are unlikely to be severe and should not warrant medical attention unless the stomach upset becomes more than mild. Nonetheless, be mindful of your pet around this plant, no one likes a belly ache!
Though it's listed as a 'toxic' plant to pets in general, rabbits being an herbivore, may tolerate some vegetation differently than cats and dogs. Some plants that may be harmful or an irritant to other pets, may be less so to rabbits. Though not saying it couldn't still be harmful if a lot is ingested.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/lant-toxicity-the-problem-with-lists
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/poisonous-plants/
If you haven't already removed the plant (if an indoor plant) to somewhere inaccessible to your rabbit, I would suggest doing that.

Signs to look out for: irritation to the mouth, pawing at the mouth, drooling, difficulty swallowing/eating, possibly difficulty breathing if the throat is swollen enough, lack of appetite, lethargy. The aspca listing says it only causes contact irritation and doesn't have toxins that are absorbed. If you aren't seeing any of those signs of mouth/throat irritation or other abnormal symptoms at this point, it sounds like your rabbit may be ok. Though if in doubt, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://www.aspca.org/news/top-10-toxic-plants-pets-what-look-out
  1. Peace lilies may add a modern flare to your flowerpot, but they are unfortunately toxic to our pets. Luckily, it is unlikely for signs to be severe. Peace lilies contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause stomach upset, drooling and mouth pain. But, since they are not absorbed systemically, they don’t cause organ damage.
  2. Devil’s Ivy or pothos have the same toxic concerns as Peace lilies, meaning the signs are unlikely to be severe and should not warrant medical attention unless the stomach upset becomes more than mild. Nonetheless, be mindful of your pet around this plant, no one likes a belly ache!
Though it's listed as a 'toxic' plant to pets in general, rabbits being an herbivore, may tolerate some vegetation differently than cats and dogs. Some plants that may be harmful or an irritant to other pets, may be less so to rabbits. Though not saying it couldn't still be harmful if a lot is ingested.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/lant-toxicity-the-problem-with-lists
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/poisonous-plants/
If you haven't already removed the plant (if an indoor plant) to somewhere inaccessible to your rabbit, I would suggest doing that.
Thank you ☺️
It was a one off that she was able to get it. It was my fault because I put their new outdoor hiding box inside for the night so it didn't get wet from the over night dew and she jumped up onto it, level to my coffee table where the starters were/are.
I thinks she fine. Still napping 😆

Ok, so just wanted to let the forum know that my little lop is fine.

She didn't experience any major issues and is already outside enjoying the morning in the grass at 8am🥰

Thank you.

Back