Potential Onset of GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaGoddess

Reaction score
Thursday night my bunny wouldn't eat, lying around, etc. All the normal signs of gas or potential onset of stasis. I had some metacam on hand, gave him that and simethicone and water. After an hour, I also had some metaclopromide on hand that I gave him. I was reluctant at first to give him this as I know if he's blocked this would have been bad. Well, he did ok and after a couple more hours and diligence of giving him fluids, he finally started eating. Yesterday he seemed normal. Eating, drinking, etc. so I didn't give him anything else. This morning though he hadn't pooped near his normal amount, wouldn't eat much veggies (he's normally a gobbler), and I got worried again. After about and hour, he ate some veggies and has just now finished some pellets. I had some metacam left (not much) and no metroclopromide. I went ahead just gave him a dose of metacam and some simethicone and water because he's just not his normal self. He's usually a big hay eater and gobbles his veggies right away....he hasn't been the gobbler that he usually is. I'm thinking calling the vet and taking him in just in case but, not sure since he is eating some now. I'm just worried that it might stress him too much to where he takes a downward spiral but, then again, I'm now out of medication and it's a holiday weekend! Thinking I should take him or at least try to get more meds if they don't have any appts....thoughts?

I would try taking him in since you are out of meds and it is a holiday weekend as you have stated. I went through this not long ago with my bun and had to go through the weekend treating him myself with only simethicone. Luckily for both of us it worked out but it was extra nerve wracking knowing I couldn't take him to the vets if needed until Monday.

No appts today and since he has not been seen for this issue since last June, they 'legally' can't refill his prescription. BUT, my other bunny Lucy had been seen and treated in May so, they refilled her prescriptions. At least I will have medications till Tuesday. I did make an appt for Tuesday anyway to at least have him seen and hopefully get some more medicine to have on hand as I do NOT like to get in the situation where I'm empty handed. I always also keep bene-bac, critical care, and simithecone on hand just in case. I could probably get him through it without the medication but, as you said, it is nerve-wracking.

It seems that I go through this about once or twice a year with both bunnies....definitely not the same timeframe. I really wish I knew what caused it. The both eat hay (timothy hay) as their main source of food. I give them fresh veggies once a day, and pellets twice a day. The amount of pellets they get is about 1 tablespoon total so not that much really. The only treats they get are an occasional carrot(maybe once a month), 1 saltine cracker each every day, and a fresh pineapple chunk each at night. They are kept in a regular size bedroom and then at night we let them run in the hall and other bedrooms. The bedroom they are in though is plenty big enough...they run around, and we give them plenty of chew items and places to hide if they want....little bunny cottages. So, I don't really think it is a lack of exercise....they run around plenty, especially at night. I have cats so unfortunately, can't let them have the run of the house or I would rabbitproof it and let them! :) They are both big hay eaters (usually....him not so much right now).

Do you guys have this issue with your bunnies each year? Could it be something I'm feeding them...or not feeding them that I should be? I just wish I knew what the cause was and how to prevent it early on.....with him, this time, I'm catching it early but, that doesn't always happen!

Does the timeline match with when they're moulting?

Maybe start a daily journal of what they're eating and also keep track of exercise patterns, temperature of your house and if there are any stressful incidents that take place. That might give a clearer picture of what's going on. Maybe hold off on giving the crackers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saltines are a bit too carby for bunnies. I sometimes give my guys cookies made for horses, but I make sure they're mostly alfalfa-based and don't have tons of carbs. They LOVE them and they're a safer treat. I would also get some probiotic to give to your buns if you see signs of GI stasis coming on, or maybe preventatively at this time of year? Maybe the temp, humidity, change in schedule (kids going back to school?) is an issue? Even inside the house, changes in the outside weather can affect our animals.

Latest posts

Back