Post-spay meds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itoshiixhito

Reaction score
Miss Maaya's spay is scheduled for next Tuesday, and I have some questions about the medication.

The secretary said she'd be fine without any pain meds, but I'm so not about to do that to my baby.

So Medicam is the obvious one. The cat version correct? What dose should she be getting?

And what about Baytril or Tramadol
? I know for a fact they have Medicam, but which one should I ask for if they have those too? And what dose of those are appropriate?

How many days worth should I ask for?

And are there any other meds I should ask for instead of those two?

1-Ask secretary if she would like a hysterectomy without pain meds? Iwould bet not. A talk with the vet is in order. Hopefully the staff needs some training. But if the doctor tells you no pain meds to take home, cancel your appointment there and find a real vet.

2-Metacam is the same regardless of species....Meloxicam is the human version. It is better than nothing but totally insufficient. Tramadol or Buprenorphine are safe and very effective.

3-Antibiotics such as Baytrilshould not be necessary.

4-Plan for 3-5 days of pain meds post op. If the surgery is conventional, 5 days....if it's laser about 3 days.

5-Have take home pain meds arranged in advance. Contrary to what some vets will tell you, there is no "one shot" that will provide long term pain relief.

Randy

I agree a narcotic is probably best. The dosing for metacam is a 0.5 or 1.5 mg/mL suspension, your vet should calculate the dose of the suspension to give based on your bunny's weight. But try to get narcotic pain meds for her, for at least 2 days post op, if you at all can!

Thanks guys :)

I called the clinic today, and they have the Tramadol. they said to talk to the receptionist when I get there about getting Maaya a prescription.

Ashley is taking Reita in too to get him neutered.

Lol. I'm going to have two grumpy rabbits at home >_<

Tramadol is an excellent drug. The dosing can be manipulated to offer a moderate degree of sedation. We use it quite a bit with head/spinals in wildlife. It is also a human drug. Can be found at most human pharmacies. And the cost is very reasonable. The only downside is that it comes only in tablet form.....so a compounding pharmacy that can make it into a suspension is quite nice to have.

Randy

I would not suggest doing it that way. The pills are 50mg and the dosing is quite small. Even though this drug isn't technically a narcotic, it does have narcotic effects which makes an overdose dangerous. This is a drug that is very safe but needs to be dosed correctly.

Randy

Latest posts

Back