Post-Spay Issues (Long)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

che

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Coming on for a bit of advice.

Codi was spayed yesterday (midday GMT). I was told I'd be able to collect at about 6pm, but to call at 4pm to see how she was doing. When I called at 4pm they said that she was eating well when fed through a syringe and was recovering nicely, so I could pick her up early.

Got her home and she hopped out of her carrier but then sat still all evening until around 8.30pm-9pm, when she moved around a bit but then settled down. During this time I had no trouble syringe feeding her because she was non-responsive.

Last night I slept on the floor by her pen and set alarms to wake and check on her/try to feed her every 2 hours. I know that she had a little bit to drink out of the bowl, but I only managed to get the smallest amount of food into her. She still doesn't move on her own - just sits still in the hen position - but she's got strength back because as soon as I put the syringe near her mouth she's gone! I tried holding her down but she's too strong trying to get away, and I'm worried about hurting her.

She's sniffed at hay, but hasn't eaten anything on her own since the operation and I'm worried that I can't feed her what she needs now. She has a vet checkup tomorrow, but I might need to go back sooner if this carries on.

She's also currently running on 24-hour post-op pain relief but I'm due to give her some Metacam in about 4 hours and I don't know how to do it since she won't let me near her.

Can I get some recommendations? Should I keep trying and hope that she picks up in the next few hours, so that I don't stress her with taxi rides back to and from the vet? Is this normal, or should she be doing more by now? What happens if I can't give her the Metacam? Is she likely to be less able to fight me once the pain kicks in, so I can give it then, or will that just leave her in agony?

Sorry for all the questions! She's my first rabbit and I've had her about 1.5 months. Overnight with the spay she's gone from the friendliest rabbit that loves attention, binkies everywhere and acts like an addict when she hears her favourite treat bag rustling to a non-responsive, sulky rabbit ignoring the baby food on a dish, the greens, the hay, her favourite treats and a few other treat options that I've put out. I've even squeezed baby food into her water bowl so that she will at least get some nutrition if she goes for a drink, but she hasn't been back to it since.

Worth adding that there is poo EVERYWHERE - no idea where it's all come from, so I'm sort of hoping that I've missed her eating but it doesn't look like any food has gone. Haven't noticed any pee yet.

Update: Codi has gone back to the vet for the day for emergency treatment and monitoring. I'll hear back today if I can collect her this evening. She's been refusing all food and water so I just took her back because I think she needs to be in the care of professionals. She'll be given stronger pain relief and they've said that they'll get plenty of food into her - the wound is looking good, but she's just not responding to anything.

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you're having. The lack of eating probably is simply due to pain. Hopefully with some extra pain relief she'll start eating again. The fact that she pooped is a good sign that things are still functioning, but obviously if she hasn't eaten in a while that will slow down. Best wishes for her with the extra vet care. Let us know how it goes.

I do not have any experience so cannot offer advice but I am wishing you the strongest of hopes that she recovers quickly and returns to her usual self.

Reactions: che
What set up did you have her in at home where she wouldn't let you near her? While ours are recovering we have them in a small space, not just for ease of handling but to help with healing so they aren't hurting themselves.

Did your vet show you how to force feed her? Were you just trying to put the syringe in her mouth when she was sitting on the floor? Because with any of ours that would most certainly not work. When I am trying to force feed without help I just put our bunnies in the corner of the couch with their butt to the corner so they can't back away, kind of curl around them so they can't go anywhere and feed them that way, although some of them really don't like it so you'll need to be patient and just keep trying. Easier they trying to wrap them up and having them freak out.

Pooping is definitely good, but if she's not eating then you definitely need to feed her. Most of our spay rabbits are eating/drinking completely on their own within 12 hours though.

have you tried simply offering her the metecam in a small lid so she can drink it on her own? maybe mixed with something sweet like pineapple juice?

i got lucky that my new bun will accept meds just like that, put it right to his mouth and he licks it up, my last bun that i lost to GI Status... he fought me tooth and nail when it came to syringe feeding. i would end up in tears trying to get him to eat...

So sorry to hear your girl is having a rough time...I hope things go better today and the vets can give her something stronger for the pain and she will come around quickly...My bun is recovering from surgery as well and it can be stressful.

Bunny hugs to Codi from Stewie :bunnyhug:

Thank you all for your replies. Well, she spent the day with the vet who in the end said that she hadn't given her the stronger pain killers as she was showing no signs of pain when she was there. The vet managed to get some food into her through the syringe - even she said not a lot today due to Codi struggling so much, but enough. She also said that Codi had nibbled a little bit of hay whilst there. I brought her home at 6pm and put her into her cage, and she immediately nibbled a leafy green. She seemed a lot more alert and more like her usual self and this evening she's been eating various foods and standing up to greet me when I walk into the room, so she's definitely on the road to recovery!

Such a relief. She's back in for her post-op check tomorrow morning but looking at how she is tonight it will all be fine.

So in total it took her about 24-28 hours to take her first bite of food on her own, and in that time she barely had anything to eat or drink as she was so adamant that she wouldn't take anything, but now I'm seeing old Codi back.

as she was showing no signs of pain when she was there.

Bunnies are good at that, prey animals have to hide their pain as best they can. I'm surprised they didn't just give her the pain meds. But nevermind, I'm very glad to hear that she's eating on her own again and well on the way to recovery :)

Bunnies are good at that, prey animals have to hide their pain as best they can. I'm surprised they didn't just give her the pain meds. But nevermind, I'm very glad to hear that she's eating on her own again and well on the way to recovery :)

Yes. She got the Metacam again, but they said they avoided the injected ones because she was sitting and cleaning herself, not grinding her teeth.

I left her alone overnight last night because I was confident that she was eating and this morning I've found that she's worked her way through some hay, a pile of pellets, two baby carrots and some leafy greens. Her appetite is definitely on its way back!

My doe was the same way when I brought her back from the vet. She was off for about 3 days. I had to make her a temp area away from Sebastian so she could recover in peace. I put a box in there so she could hide and she didn't venture out much the first day or even the second. I put down her favorite veggies and fruits right outside of the box and made sure I had a bowl of water in the box with her.

I had to take her out to get some metacam in her, but honestly it just takes a little bit of time. Make sure she's comfortable and warm, and try to bribe her with little pieces of fav veggies and fruit every once in awhile. Spray the veggies with water also helps hydrate her. I made fresh apple sauce and pellet slurry, which I never saw her eat, but it was slowly disappearing.

Glads to hear she on her way to getting better. they are finicky little things aren't they?

Back