Post operative changes in behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchster

Reaction score
My boy bert just had to have his first molar trim done. I think it was pretty dramatic for him. Before the operation, while not a big fan of being handled, I could approach him and pet him and pick him up. He now will not tolerate any thing close to being handled. If I get too close to his cage (it has two floors) he will go to the back of the cage on the first floor. If I get in range to pick him up, no small feet, he will kick and squirm as much as I think that he possibly can to get away. Since I got him back from the vet, he is struggling harder than I have ever seen him before and I am worried that either he could injure himself, or I could injure him just trying to give him his meds. He was eating this morning, but he hadNO interest in coming to me to get his favorite treat.

All I want to do is give him his medicine. But he is being very aggressive in not being handled at all. Needless to say, he isn't interested in his medicine either.

Is this common, and are there any suggestions?

Both of mine did that when they had to get meds whether it was from surgery or they were sick. It was like they knew why I was coming for them and they didn't like it. I think your rabbit is upset about the meds and that is why he is acting that way.

My one rabbits biggest issue was being picked up. So I would give her meds while she was still on the floor. I would sit on my legs and put her between my two legs. That way she was blocked from running from the side. Her but was to my back so she couldn't back out. Then her head was facing out. I would put one hand on her head and the other I used to push the syringe of meds. It worked really well for her.

My other rabbit would not tolerate it. She would try to bite my legs and do everything possible to get away. With her I would get a towel and just scoop her up as fast as I could and would put her on top of the washer which was really close to her room. She didn't have anywhere she could go and I was able to get meds in.

One thing I tried when feeding critical care or doing sub q's which take a lot longer was to use the bathtub. They are unfamiliar with the bathtub and usually don't struggle as much. You could put him in his carrier to carry him to the bathroom since he is giving you such a rough time being picked up. I put a towel in the bottom of the bathtub and climb right in with the rabbit. The bathtub was a life saver when I was giving critical care.

I would try different things to see if there is an easier way to administer the meds. Though no matter how you do it, he probably is going to be upset and not like it. Though you may be able to find a way that makes it safer and less stressful for both of you. Good luck. I know how stressful and frustrating it can be to try and give meds to a mad bunny.

ETA:I just wanted to say after a few days of stopping the meds, my rabbits all went back to their normal self. They didn't try to run and hide from me.

Torchster wrote:
My boy bert just had to have his first molar trim done. I think it was pretty dramatic for him. Before the operation, while not a big fan of being handled, I could approach him and pet him and pick him up. He now will not tolerate any thing close to being handled. If I get too close to his cage (it has two floors) he will go to the back of the cage on the first floor. If I get in range to pick him up, no small feet, he will kick and squirm as much as I think that he possibly can to get away. Since I got him back from the vet, he is struggling harder than I have ever seen him before and I am worried that either he could injure himself, or I could injure him just trying to give him his meds. He was eating this morning, but he hadNO interest in coming to me to get his favorite treat.

All I want to do is give him his medicine. But he is being very aggressive in not being handled at all. Needless to say, he isn't interested in his medicine either.

Is this common, and are there any suggestions?
here we go,--,prey and predator,,his experience was tramatic,,did the dvm put him under before grinding??--most likely,,but had to ask because i wasn,t aware that some dvm,s don,t offer any meds for neutering,etc--hard to believe--inhumane--...what you have to do is keep this quiet,,work within the boundries he gives,,donot chase him,,,be patient,,he will come around,,hopefully as before...sincerely james waller:wave:

Latest posts

Back