Post op testicle question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
Peaches is a 7-8 month old lionhead - he went in this past Friday for a castration - they say to watch for swollen testicles & licking of the incision. Yesterday he seemed to have shrivelled testicles (like all wrinkly & shrunken) today he seems to have grown them back - the incision looks okay, no infection,but he looks like he has testicles again - they're not red or inflammed or oozing of puss, they just seem "there".

The vet is closed today so I can't go, but is this normal? Does this mean that they're swollen or just that they're still healing? It'sbeen less than 48 hours since his surgery - should I worry - like I said they don't look bigger than what he had before he got neutered - they just look like they've regrown.

Should I be worried? What can I do till I can call the vet? Does the testicle sack stay there or does it shrink to nothing? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look for anymore

Admittedly I've never had a rabbit neutered (Timmy was neutered when I got him) but I volunteered in a spay/neuter clinic this summer that did mostly cats and dogs. In a neuter they should be removing the testicles completely and what should be left behind is the scrotum. If there's a lot of inflammation to the point where it looks like he still has testicles I would try icing them (15 or 20 minutes at a time, if he'll tolerate it). There's also a chance that there could be an infection so I'd definitely call the vet about it asap (do they not have an after-hours number?).

I agree with the icing. We did that for Benjamin. If that doesn't help, definitely see the vet. They look quite inflamed in my opinion.

I called the vet this morning and asked - (they,re actually the color they were before the operation on the picture). The swelling went down a bit yesterday and they,re a little less puffy today. His mood is 100% better although he now doesn't like to be picked up since he might think we're trying to force feed him again. But he has decided to re-arrange his cage - moving his litterbox & everything... I'll check again tomorrow for the swelling

I saw this in a Pitbul we neutered over the summer. He looked like he still had his testicles after his neuter a couple of days before. Slowly as time progressed the swelling went away.

Back