Post neutering surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe319

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've just gotten back from the vet after my boy Latte's neutering surgery. He's approximately 7 months old. Vet mentioned that everything went great and gave me some meds and critical care(I can't remember the exact name) thing if he's not eating well.

Would like to get advice on post surgery care and if there's anything to lookout for aside from the follows (as advised by the vet)
1) watch his diet and ensure that poops are of usual amount, size and texture
2) ensure that he does not bite the wound
3) small blood patches is common but ring the vet up if there's excessive bleeding
4) ensure that he's eating, else feed the critical care thing

As he's my first bun, would appreciate any further advice aside from those above. Also, I thought neutering removes the ballsack entirely so I was pretty surprised to find 2 pink pouches still there hahaha!

A couple of pics of the boy :)

Don't worry, he's not a caged bun. The cage is just where I store his water and pellets and is inside his playpen :)

Oh and he's stretching his hind legs often now which wouldn't be a cause for concern would it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_214155.jpg
    IMG_20200612_214155.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200612_214113.jpg
    IMG_20200612_214113.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi, this cage is actually fine since you don't want him moving much so you need to limit his space, I would just put hay into it so he can have it whenever he pleases, water too. I think that vet gave you good advice hopefully he will heal soon. It is important that he keeps eating so his gut keeps moving he might refuse pellets for now but in a few hours he should start eating.

You can still see testicles because they were removed from the inside so he only has small area stitched at his scrotum, they will get smaller and will completely disappear after a couple weeks so don't worry about

Hi, this cage is actually fine since you don't want him moving much so you need to limit his space, I would just put hay into it so he can have it whenever he pleases, water too. I think that vet gave you good advice hopefully he will heal soon. It is important that he keeps eating so his gut keeps moving he might refuse pellets for now but in a few hours he should start eating.

You can still see testicles because they were removed from the inside so he only has small area stitched at his scrotum, they will get smaller and will completely disappear after a couple weeks so don't worry about

Ah I see. Generally how should the wound/ball sack look like? Currently both looks like slightly round shape in pink. I'm concerned if he's biting his wound as he's seemingly in the usual position he is when he eats his cecotropes. I'm not sure if he's eating his cecotropes or biting his wound.

I check on him every couple hours, so far I didn't find any bloody patches near his scrotum area or his chins(which I assume will be dabbed in blood if he is indeed biting his wound repeatedly).

Rabbits being such delicate animal is really keeping me on my toes!

Last edited:
A couple of pics of the boy :)

Don't worry, he's not a caged bun. The cage is just where I store his water and pellets and is inside his playpen :)

Oh and he's stretching his hind legs often now which wouldn't be a cause for concern would it?

Your bun is such a cutie! When I got my rabbit spayed my vet advised me to remove any levels or high areas that the bun could jump on (just in case they rip the stitch jumping) although I'm not sure if this is really helpful... <3

Ah I see. Generally how should the wound/ball sack look like? Currently both looks like slightly round shape in pink. I'm concerned if he's biting his wound as he's seemingly in the usual position he is when he eats his cecotropes. I'm not sure if he's eating his cecotropes or biting his wound.

I check on him every couple hours, so far I didn't find any bloody patches near his scrotum area or his chins(which I assume will be dabbed in blood if he is indeed biting his wound repeatedly).

Rabbits being such delicate animal is really keeping me on my toes!
Firstly I agree with above that if you have shelves there it would be best to remove them so I just didn't see it was shelf in photo.

I think he's going to be alright just keep checking but not too often and don't give him too much stress, if there's any inflammation you will see it, but if testicles a bit swollen it should be expected after surgery. His wound will heal in a couple days skin will look more normal. I can't really tell you more without seeing it, I think he'll be fine it is important that he keeps eating and pooping and you can probably distract his attention with food maybe you can give more often but less so after he eats he will want to relax etc.

If he opens stitches you just call your vet and they will fix it.

So I managed to snap a pic of his scrotum while distracting him with head rubs. The right ball sack looks like there's a small opening. There's no patches of blood as far as I can see. Is this alright? It's approximately 24 hours since his surgery. Also I noticed his right eye looks really tired as compared to his left so I took a pic as well.

Do let me know if there's any cause for concern at this point. Thanks a lot!

Ps: I leveled his cage a little with his litter box

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_132336.jpg
    IMG_20200613_132336.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200613_132757.jpg
    IMG_20200613_132757.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 6
Your bun is such a cutie! When I got my rabbit spayed my vet advised me to remove any levels or high areas that the bun could jump on (just in case they rip the stitch jumping) although I'm not sure if this is really helpful... <3

Hi there, thanks! Following your advice, I leveled his cage area with his litter box so he doesn't need to jump off the cage for hay/pooping. I'm confining him to his cage at the moment :)

What a handsome boy.
When we had Toko neutered we just kept a close eye on him for a couple days.
Luckily we had no issues at all. I didn't even really check his surgery area etc.
Biggest concern is make sure he's eating. Drinking. And pooping.

What a handsome boy.
When we had Toko neutered we just kept a close eye on him for a couple days.
Luckily we had no issues at all. I didn't even really check his surgery area etc.
Biggest concern is make sure he's eating. Drinking. And pooping.

Thanks, I'll make sure to pass the message to latte that he's being complimented hahahaha.

Yeah, we left him alone for the afternoon and only looked at him through our surveillance camera. He visibly perked up when we got home after dinner, standing on his hind legs and begging for food in the usual manner. We(my wife and I) heaved a long sigh of relief. Taking care of delicate animals really be stressful, especially during covid where clinics may not operate during their usual hours

Back