Post neuter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hleigh99

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Beamer was fixed 2 days ago, and seems to be getting back to his normalself. He has already been sprayed once for getting into trouble. Theone exception is his diet. He will eat as many treats as he has accessto which is very limited, andthe only other thing he iseating is his hay. He has hardly touched his dry food or any of thevegetables like his usual favoriteslike romaine lettuce,cucumbers, or even carrots. Has anyone else experienced this?

It may just be side effects of the anesthesia.

I know my stomach was queasy for a few days after surgery.

The fact that he is eating is good. I would hold off on the treatsuntil he's back up to speed, though. He may be filling up on thetreats. It would be better if he were eating healthy things. Eating hayis good.

You might give him some Nutri-Cal to help boost his system.

Is he pooping?

Yes, but not like normal. Twice it has beenrunny, but for the most part they are more like little rocks andsmaller than normal. The runny stuff happened the night I brought himhome and hasn't happened since. He hasn't been eating much at all inthe morning which is weird, and only the hay later in the day. As forthe treats, he eats his 3 raisins with gusto, but that is all he seemedto jump at.

Where can I find Nutri-Cal? Should it be at acertain strength or different amount? And is it the kind I seeadvertised for dogs and cats?

hleigh99 wrote:
Where can I find Nutri-Cal? Should it be at a certainstrength or different amount? And is it the kind I see advertised fordogs and cats?
You can find it at most pet stores as well as on line. You can find it in the cat/dog section.

And..Yes, it is the same product as you see advertised.

I think the dosage is based on the animals weight, but the experts of the forum can provide more info on this.

I need to pick up some Nutri-Cal for our new rescue. I'll be consulting with our gurus to determine the dosage to be given, too.

I'll post an update back here if I get further info regarding dosage

Also, give him some oats if they get real runny,like oatmeal but dry...... it will help bulk up the poos but stillhelps them to go right.

NutriCal is awesome stuff.... keep it on hand....

As long as he's eating some and drinking..... he should do fine.

it's just his system is a bit out of whack.

Ok. I will definitely get some of that stuff.Ususally he eats anything and everything. I wish I had that stuff withmy last rabbit who was very picky.

Try some parsley, too.

It helps promote a bunnie's appetite.

edwinf8936 wrote:
He is laying a big guilt trip on you!

Ed
He is doing a good job. He seemed more upset about the collar to keephim from licking than the surgery. I guess he was just woozy and hadn'tfigured out the truth yet.

I will try the parsley. Is that something they can eat as an everydaything, or just when they aren't feeling great?

hleigh99 wrote:
Iwill try the parsley. Is that something they can eat as aneverydaything, or just when they aren't feeling great?

You can give him some every day if you like. My buns love it.

I give them a couple of sprigs every day or two. I like to mix up their greens so they have a different variety...

romaine/parsley/cilantro....romaine/cilantro/carrot tops...romaine/basil/dandelion greens...etc.

:~) Jim

parsley can be given every day but only a sprig or two because there is something about it that isn't good in large amounts.

I prefer using cilantro because they can basically have all of that they want.

Ok, that is good to know. Thank you.

It has now been 4 days since the surgery and he seems to be just aboutback to normal. He has even been jumping up on the bed, and hisbathroom visits seem to be back to normal. And thanks to everyone whogave suggestions.

Did you take that collar off? I stillcan't believe they used one on him. I've never had one put onan animal who was spayed or neutered.

Glad he's feeling better :)

Yes, I left it on him that night and for a whilethe next day. Even though it was trimmed to fit him, he was stillhaving problems eating and acting wierd. Once I took it off, he didmuch better. He looked so miserable, I couldn't stand to watch him likethat, so I definitely not recommend one.

Back