Post-Easter Adoptions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica1207

Reaction score
So I know this can be a really touchy, but I was wondering what poeple here thought about watching the shelter for an adoption prospect in these few weeks after Easter.Thanks

Well, watching the shelter for adoption prospects is actually a really good idea.

You will see the shelters get a lot of bunnies in the next few weeks,so anyone that iswaiting to adopt from the shelter, this is a good time to keep your eyes open and keep checking the sites.

Now is a great time to rescue a couple bunnies from irresponsible people that only got rabbits as an Easter novelty.

Thats what I was thinking. As far as I cantell, Petco and a small family owned petshop seem to be the only otherplaces in town to get a bunny. Is it more likely that Easterrescues will be younger than the typical shelter bunny?

i'd say so because most easter rabbits are cutelittle babies.. and then when the people realise theyneedattention and lots of looking after.. they just give themaway.. as opposed to (at least in my experience) the rabbits whoseowners were kids and grew out of them, or got too big for their cage,or reached puberty and were too much of a handful and too 'expensive'to get fixed..

I think my captain was an easter rabbit, judging by his age when he was found abandoned.

I plan to watch craigslist (CL).Whats better than a free bunny?

People do dumb things.It does bother me to no end that people buy"easter bunnies" then turn around and get rid of it.They think it willmake a good present.NEVER GIVE PETS AS GIFTS!!!!Its just stupid.If theywant one ask then take them to buy it or whatever.Bunnies cannot makeit in a dog pound.Sorry this is a passion of mine.

:happyrabbit:

My bun - Nibbles - was dumped last year afterEaster. forunately for her, she was turned in to a no-kill shelter andthen transferred to a rabbit rescue, which is how I ended up meetingand adopting her.

If you're interested in adopting a bunny, do keep an eye on shelterlistings (via Petfinder, etc.). Lots of young bunnies will be needinghomes very soon.

My Flower was a previous Easter bunny of myneighbor's. He had her sitting outside in her "cage" that wasactually a small hamster cage. Poor thing was soaked inurine, and had been for at least a week. She was six weeksold.

I took her in, and now she's the most beautiful, grateful, wonderfullittle girl! (Well, little in action, she's about 7lbs insize, hehe!)

Here's Flower then:

3z83bzo.jpg

Here's Flower now:

4gdj9ll.jpg

000_0353.jpg

000_0337.jpg

000_0217.jpg

I saw a really cute rabbit last year that iwanted from petland (i was young and i didn't know where the shelterswere) I bought a cage from petco and I wanted the rabbit from petland,but they said i can't buy it becuz i have to buy the rabbit with thecage. So i walked all around manhattan trying to find a petstore thatwould sell me a rabbit (I had some kind of rabbit fever) anyway after afew phone calls i found a petland that would sell rabbit and they hadtwo to choose from. I bought that rabbit right away becuz i feel badfor it, rabbits in stores aren't that much happier than rabbits inshelters. I was wondering what they do to rabbits if no one buys it?

I really hope that's not true. I saw a beautifulgray rabbit in Petco for a couple months and she just kept gettingbigger but she wasn't there the other day. She was a gorgeous bun. Shelooked silver. I wish I could have gotten her but I don't think we haveany room for a 7th. It would break my heart if she was put to sleep.

I don't think that they put them down. They allcome in spayed and neutered right? It would be a loss of a huge salesince they usually have a high prices for them. I'm pretty sure thatthey don't do that.

No, most rabbits sold in petstores are notfixed. The only company that I know of that does that isMarshalls, which sells their rabbits to Petco stores.

Jessica, this is a great time to look for a new bunny friend!Many shelters get overloaded with unwanted rabbits. If yourlocal shelters don't normally get rabbits, you could ask them to callyou if they get any in.

It all depends on the rabbit. Some rabbits arevery difficult to bond, and others are easier. Spaying and neuteringhelp better the chances of bonding. It can be easy, or can be hard :).

Latest posts

Back