POSSIBLY TOXIC TOYS?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really annoyed to see these things have appeared at PetSmarts around here.
I am really afraid for any bunnies whose owners buy these things, they carry the most awful looking things. (Is there any way to petition pet shops to get them to stop selling these?) We only go there for litter, and pellets since they started selling Oxbow. (The only other place to buy Oxbow here is a pet store that also sells baby bunnies from tiny, cramped cages, and I don't want to support their business.)

Jason's mom loves to go to yard sales, she picked up some sort of awful-looking bunny "treat" for us last year. When we explained to her that we would never give something that unhealthy to our rabbits, and pointed out the bad things in the ingredients, she shrugged and said it only cost a quarter and took it back. I was then annoyed to see that bag of treats on *her* yardsale table a month later. I paid her the 50 cents she had marked it as and threw it away. (And I *told* her i was throwing it away because that was one bag of "treats" that no bunny would be eating.:shock:)

I had one of those FOREVER and never had any problems. It was outlived by at least four litters of dwarf hamster who chewed the thing down to a crescent-shaped sliver. I can see it for hams and other little guys, but not for rabbits. Now, all my guys are housed with those little plastic Igloos. Those are too cute to pass up (mine are the "tiny" size). They are only about the size of an apple.

I love the igloos!

I wonder if we had a bad batch of those things? I've heard a lot of negatives like they got stopped up, sick, etc.

Who makes the "Snak Shaks"? The one I bought was a Snak Shak, but I have seen cheaper ones by 8-in-1 or whatever the heck it's called. Maybe the "generic" one is worse. Another ingredient of ours was honey.

i have the log by snack shack. when liffey was small her could crawl in it and hide. he chews around the edges sometimes. and i've never had a problem with it. his poops are always fine. but maybe it's b/c he mostly eats hay. i'll have to google it and find out more about it.

I heard about these on the gerbil forum I'm on and I'll never buy one. If it's iffy, to me it's not worth the risk. :? There are SO many other toys out there that are safe!
My mom did buy me one before she knew they were bad. I told her they were and to not buy me one again but I still said thank you! She was trying to be nice and I appreciate it! (Got to love my mom! :)) I only use it now for my gerbils during supervised play times. I'm so cautious about what I give my animals, I usually ask my fellow forum goers (on here and on the gerbils forum) if I'm unsure! :biggrin2:

Oh, I was polite to my mother-in-law and thanked her the first time she tried to give us the "treats." But I was less so when I saw her trying to re-sell them. I don't think I was *rude,* but I was a little more to the point. ;)

Yikes!

I'm glad you've warned us, BoB! Me and my sister about to do a toy/supply drive for a local rabbit shelter in January, I'll be able to take anything out that looks like this and put it promptly in the trash.

Emily

These things are so nasty and terribly unhealthy. I wouldn't feed ANY of my little loves (rats included) pine shavings, molasses, and the other nasty ingredients in these....yuck! Not to mention if they are left in cages and get peed on over and over again or get wet in any way...they can grow MOLD...which can cause death if eaten!!

in addition to the nasty ingredients, the hut's roof was also held on by a little wooden ring, which needed to be removed as it became pointy when broken or chewed

edited to add: the logs would have to be removed by the second day,because the inside would inevitably become wet and sticky,which is why we stopped buying the logs

Leowyldemi wrote:
in addition to the nasty ingredients, the hut's roof was also held on by a little wooden ring, which needed to be removed as it became pointy when broken or chewed

edited to add: the logs would have to be removed by the second day,because the inside would inevitably become wet and sticky,which is why we stopped buying the logs
the log got wet and sticky??? did the bunny pee in it?? liffey is so particular about him pee. he will only pee in a certain litter pan. one day he got up on the couch and couldn't get down and he had an accident and he hid in his cage the rest of the night. we didn't even yell or spray the water bottle at him. well he's deaf for one and also we never used a water bottle on him before. but you know what i mean...he had no reason to think he's get into trouble ya know? i guess some buns are more picky than others.

yeah, i used to get them for my guinea pig clarissa, and she did pee in the middle a couple of times so they got yucky,i knew they got to be a mess, but i never had a clue they could be toxic!Howie's never getting one!

yikes, i almost got a log for Jamie on more than one occasion:shock:. I'm so glad i didn't now:?. thanks for the heads up Bo, and for bumping it up again Jade:). maybe it should be stickied or a list of toxic toys made and stickied?

well i decided to do some research on the whole thing and i was kinda shocked myself when i was reading up on pine wood and buns and of course since that's the main ingrediant in them. looks like i'll have to take mine out and find something new for lif to hide in. not that much of his can fit in it anymore!

Back