Possibly Runny Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
So I've noticed for a while Ripley'sright eye has been a bit runny.I was thinkingit was just sleep in the eyesbecause that's what it kinda looked like. But sometimes it looks more runny. His nose was *slightly* wet. I took his litter box out thinking the litter was bothering him and its gotten alot better. I'm wondering if its not allergies of some sort but some say that's more jsut sneezing but maybe not actually eye or nose discharge.

What do you think?

Here's my little Snoogle bunny {Ok fine, Ripley}

Right eye:

15287_021937_560000001.jpg

Left (in comparison) really that one is sometimes slightly wetish/runny but not really.:
15287_021937_550000000.jpg

Oh and also: I took my other bunny Taffy in once last summer as she had white gook in her eye and I wanted to be sure it was not a big issue. They gave me a bottle of Drops (Ciporflox 0.3%, 1 per day for 3-5 days) Basically just an eye rinse kind of thing. I didn't touch it to her eye. Should i try these on Ripley? It cleared up Taffers issue right away.

Oh and I forgot to menion Ripley is about 5 months old. (Hence the thought that its probably not a tooth issue)

Ciprofloxicin is an antibiotic soI don't suggest that you use it without having a vet take a look at him.
Possibly an allergy but I also suggest a vet visit if in doubt.

Bunnies can have teeth problems from birth

Runny eyes sometimes are caused by blocked tear ducts.

let us know....:)

My rabbit had this exact same problem when he was 5 months old. I took him to the vet and got some drops for his eye and a couple of days after putting them in I pulled a bit of straw out of his eye. Perhaps your bun could have something lodged in his eye?

hippie wrote:
My rabbit had this exact same problem when he was 5 months old. I took him to the vet and got some drops for his eye and a couple of days after putting them in I pulled a bit of straw out of his eye. Perhaps your bun could have something lodged in his eye?
yeh it also could be that

To rule out gunk in the eye, in the meantime... Get some Saline, NaCl 0.9%, plain old eyedrops with nothing else in them and put a few drops in his eye every few hours, you can try pulling out his lower lid a little and making sure a drop gets in there. Dont use the drops you already have unless directed to do so by a vet whos SEEN the eye.

You can also take his hay outside, put a sheet or garbage bag down and shake the hay out from arm height onto the sheet so any extra dust blows away.

A visit to the vets never hurts :)

Yep, well it seems like it usually looks like excess 'sleep' in the corner of his eye. Sometimes when I go to clean it away, it runs then. So really I'm not sure. Like now it pretty much looks like there's just sleep in the corner of his eye. :? but I know as soon as I clean it away it'll be runny. Soo really the sleep doesn't worry me too much but I know runnyness isn't normal. Never had that in my other buns, and i always clean the sleep away from their eyes when they have it.

Yes, I know a visit to the vet definitly may be in order. I know it can't hurt. My whole family though is of the oppinion not to take the buns in unless you absolutely have to. (The last like 2 times we've taken them in for being treated, it was unseccesfully. I believe we just need a new vet... now to convince everyone else as its not just up to me..)

As far a something being lodged in the eye, that could be the case. However its kinda been doing this for a while, which would mean somethings been in there for a long while. ?? I've looked at his eye alot (I'm alwayyys holding him) andhaven't noticed a thing. :pP

Watermellons--maybe I'll try the saline drops and let you know how that works. :)

Might have an issue with the tear duct. A vet can flush it out for you.

I have 2 buns doing the same right now, both on the same side. Vet said that it is caused because of the corn dust in the air right now.(I live in rural Iowa). Vet said flush with plain sterile water or saline. However if it does not seem to bother the bunny and it is not getting "gunky" don't worry about it, it will remedy itself.

Saline solution is always good to clean the eyes, but I don't think that will solve the issue.. I'd think you should take Ripley to the vet, as Angieluv said. She knows a lot about bunnies, if she recommended the vet, that's the way to go... in the mean while you can clean his eyes with saline solution...

bleh yeah. I'd like to take him in. For sure. I'd have had him in the second I noticed it. Until my family is sure that we've done what we can without vet care though, I don't have a huge chance of taking him in. So I think I'd better try that and if it doesn't do it then I can take him in. I'll try to go pick some up today.

Woops! didn't mean to delete the pics of Ripley's eye.

here they are once again:

Right eye:

15287_021937_490000001.jpg

Left eye in comparison:

15287_021937_490000000.jpg

Oh and an update:

His eye for the last like 4 days haven't looked really runny at all. Maybe something in his eye was irritating it? I'm still keeping a *very* close eye on it, but I"m hoping and praying it wasn't anything to worry about.

Latest posts

Back