Possibly breeding my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itoshiixhito

Reaction score
I bought my rabbit Maaya from Kate, a breeder I know through a mutual friend in Turlock, CA in 2008.

I'm having a problem finding a vet in the area who will spay her that doesn't charge $250+ (I'm a poor college student :tears2:)

So I emailed Kate to see if she had any recommendations. I included a current picture of Maaya, and for the heck of it, I asked for some pics of Maaya's parents.

Turns out both her mommy and daddy passed away :(

Kate asked if I was interested in breeding Maaya once so she could continue the bloodline. Or if I'd want to trade her for a new baby bunny.

I said I definitely don't want to trade her because she's my baby, but I might be interested in breeding her once.

If I decide to breed her, I asked if I would be able to borrow one of her cages (since it has a nesting box and everything), and keep her at my house for the gestation. I really don't like the idea of being apart from her for a long time :(

I mentioned the idea to my dad, and he insisted that I'm entitled to some money since I have the doe.

But instead of getting money for the babies, I asked Kate if she would be willing to help me pay for Maaya to get spayed after her litter, since I need to get that done either way.

Do you guys think I'm being pushy for even asking for anything?
Am I even entitled to anything since I bought my doe from her originally?

And if I do breed her, do you guys have any tips for me?
Like how to handle her so I don't accidentally hurt the babies, or if I should be adding something extra to her diet?

My main concern is the potential for complications with the pregnancy. The first pregnancy is difficult for first-timers and it's not uncommon for the doe to have some trouble with kindling (birth). Occasionally, the kits will be born dead. And in other cases, it is even possible to lose the doe.

Because your bunny is a cherished pet, I would suggest NOT breeding her. It's a shame that her parents have passed, and I understand why the breeder would ask you if you'd like to try for a litter. But it sounds like you're not really sure of the decision to begin with, so I'd say that it may not be the best idea. No matter what precautions you take, there is always a risk in breeding, especially with a first time doe and a first time "breeder". I think I'd politely decline. :)

I agree that you should not consider breeding a much loved pet due to possible pregnancy complications, which can exceed the cost of spaying! Pregnancy complications can also result in the death of the doe.

Latest posts

Back