Possiblity of prgnancy..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mira

Reaction score
Ok, so a few days ago, it was really nice out so my friend and I brought out Rosie and Pippin. Rosie is an unspayed, 1year old +female holland, and Pippin is an unspayed 2-3 month old fuzzy lop. When they met, which was an accident, Rosie was just interested in constantly establishing and enforcing her dominance, so Pippin was scared to death of her (respected her dominance, I guess). But the other day, he was showing more interest in her. And when my friend and I brought the rabbits into my porch, I let Rosie run around,and she let Pippin go (seperated by us, for Pipppin protection mainly). Well, in one blink, both rabbits were beside me. Pippin was nudhing Rosie and smelling her. He burried his head under her belly a few times, licked her (all the while, Rosie was just, tanding there.. not nipping or humping... nothing). Well, I was all like 'ok... at least they are not fighting..' but right after that thought crossed my mind,Pippin was on Rosie and doing what rabbits do. I was shocked, but he was off her in about 5 seconds flat. He continued to jump loose of my arms and try to do his business (we never let him).

So, this morning both my rabbits broke out of their cages and were out together for a while (I'm not sure how long, but long enough for something unfortunate to happen). He is only 2-3 month... but I know that they have been known to impregnant at a very young age, even younger than him. But the only thing is, I soo no testicles! At all! So, what is the possiblitiy of pregnancy? I have a feeling something might have happened. Are there any signs to look for right now, possible a few hours after this incident? Like, anything on her body/his that may indicate whether or not there was intercourse?However, I do not want to wait! I do not want her to go through with the prgnancy if she is, so my last question, if I get her spayed early, this is basically an abortion, right?

I pretty much hate myself for this happening, somehow I blame myself complretely. But it was an accident, and I don't want anything to happe to Rosie, not to mention they are different breeds. :(I feel like poo.

Thank you to anyone who helps me.

Hey,

In my opinion, getting Rosie spayed asap would be your best option.

Check out this thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=20972&forum_id=8

She has two cute little buns, only 2-3 months old and they managed to breed. The girl gave birth to one dead baby and the second one got stuck and she almost bled to death. There was also a third deformed baby that wasn't properly developed. An emergency spay saved her live.

Even if Rosie is not pregnant, if you are planning on spaying her anyways, then you might as well do it now so nothing can happen to her in the future. You can tell the vet who does the spay that you do not want to know if she was pregnant or not, and that way you don't have to feel bad.

If it was me, I would get her spayed. I would be too scared of a birth complication happening in the middle of the night and her bleeding to death by morning with out me knowing. Or something happening and not being able to get her to a vet on time.

--Dawn

Oh, wow, i was reading that, but I didn't get so far as to read the outcome. That is horrible (good that the girlie is ok, though). I called my mom to tell her, and of course, my mom yells as me, tells me that the vet won't do that (which I know is wrong, my mom is just a little afraid of the cost... $260 :shock:) But I think I'll get her to read that.

Thank you, though, I was planning on spaying her and I have a bad feeling. I'm definitly not letting this go too far. I wanted her spayed anyway, so this is sort of a good reason for my mom to give in, because it would kill her if something happened to Rosie.

But another question, why did that happen? Did it have anything to do with the age of the bunnies, do you know? Or did something, just go terriblywrong?

:hearts

Some breeds of rabbits are notorious for having birthing problems. Generally the smaller ones like Netherland Dwarfs and Holland lops have really hard times giving birth and often get stuck kits.

Maybe you could PM some of the other members in Ontario and ask them if they know of a good vet. Look here for a good list:
http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthvets.htm

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back